Almost have a mind to grab this

Ah, Larry I have a bad back. I can help load a genesis in a truck bed, but I think we need more than two old broken down guys to load that thing. We could maybe push it up into a trailer with a fold down ramp though.
Well if I can put my hands on the wire harness for my Highlander and rent a trailer I will let you know. Maybe than winch it in with a come along or something

You are serious, aren't you.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Geez guys, remember when you were kids and somebody said "there's a great band playing in the next state over 4 hours from now" and how you would all rally and pull the cushions to look for loose change and hit the kitchen and make peanut butter sandwiches and grab the gallon of milk?

What happened to us?

Damn it, find someone with a pickup truck and ramps and go get it. Bring a come-along if you must. But get it.

If I was closer to you I'd be at your doorstep.

Yah, you guys are the "carriers" in the Weberitis epidemic. You almost have me undercutting larry and driving down with my BIL and trailer to Madison.

I think I will just drink a few beers and go take a long nap. Hopefully the symptoms subside.

Well, I think somebody ought to end the suspense and find out how low the seller is willing to go.

Yah, you guys are the "carriers" in the Weberitis epidemic. You almost have me undercutting larry and driving down with my BIL and trailer to Madison.
Yeah, then invite Larry over for dinner! With friends like that, who needs enemas?

I think I will just drink a few beers and go take a long nap. Hopefully the symptoms subside.
I'll drink to that!

Well bottom line if I do decide to go for it I am gonna really lowball it with no "second chance". Part of me really wants it and part of me says "nah, you're old, your back is wrecked, constant sinus headaches the last few days what are you thinkin'?" So this is where I am at right now. My "half a mind" is maybe only 1/3 a mind right now LOL
It's not even the distance. It's the "age" LOL

I hear you Larry. I have been on the fence on a lot of grills. I sit and ponder for a few days and someone else grabs it out from under me and I am off the hook. Life goes on and my back is still intact and my back yard is that much less cluttered.

Larry - If you are just considering it a parts grill, you are not going into it for a chance at a nice payday, and are not really wanting to do it. Skip it.
For me it was a no brainer. It was $50, I did not have any other grills to work on, it fit in my Prius, I don't have a job, this was a new challenge, and this is how I make money.

Yeah Joe, I have no desire to flip it if I go for it. If it's in better overall shape than my own I would use mine as a donor and restore this one or the opposite if mine is better. But flipping it is not on the agenda at all. The biggest hurdle I have is "logistics" as I know physically what I am in for if the seller bites on a real lowball from me. I am at that point in my life where my mind says "you can lift that" and my body says "you wish". Especially right now. I don't have any issue(s) of how to handle it should I actually get it home. I have a couple good strong neighbors who can help me handle it. It's the issue of handling it once in WI. I suppose I could ask the seller. ......................I haven't gotten that far yet

After restoring so many different types of grills over the last few years I have found that they are so similar that except for a few options they are so much more alike than different. That Wolf will probably last longer than you. But do you need another 6 burner 800lb grill to take up space and roll around when you want to use it. To not flip at least one of them is a waste in my opinion. The Q320, Genesis, Broilmaster, and the Napoleon are manageable and cook just as well. What will you do on the Wolf that you can't do on another grill out of curiosity? Are you cooking for an army often and need the real-estate of 6 burners? If it is just once in a blue moon, I bet you have a spare gasser that can fill the need. I hear the hesitation and can't come up with a good reason to want 1 of these, let along 2. BTW - What parts do you need for your grill?

It's like back in the day when I had my Caddy Coupe DeVille. Did I need a Caddy? Nope. In fact it got me manhandled by a Chicago Police Officer who did not believe the young WOP (as he referred to me) actually "owned" it. I digress. The caddy was wanton excess. The Wolf is my "Caddy" LOL. Actually if I found a smaller high end product I am sure I would use it more. The Wolf gets pressed into service fairly often but not because I have a need to grill 1,000 burgers at once :D but because it offers me techniques not available on my Genesis. Especially for pizza. It also gets pressed into service when I want to grill 2 different things and I want smoke in one (say ribs) but not the other things like veg, corn on the cob and so on come to mind.
Seems like you're upset with me for considering taking it and cannibalizing it.
But, again, this is not a huge priority in my life. Just kinda pipe dreaming/window shopping LOL. But, again. Truth be told I don't flip grills. I did for a bit in the past. But, not anymore. It takes up too much space and my main business focus is my KitchenAid business having just listed 2 more today on FleaBay. They make my mad money for stuff I like to do. (shooting, fishing and so on)

Joe, a voice of reason.
Bruce, you are right. I basically fell into this to save grills from the landfill as so many are that have a lot of life get trashed. I also pickup vacuums, lamps, some furniture, any thing I think I can save from the side of the road, or given away. Making a few bucks on it really helps the motivation. That Wolf I flipped was sitting in pieces in this handyman's yard for sale for 6 months and may have been sold for scrap if I did not take a chance on it. That was my biggest profit ever on something. I also have a tough time getting my head around all of the donner grills laying around. If I get the grill, I clean it, buy the parts it needs, and sell it. I do have some spare parts that I have been trying to get rid of, but no one really wants them, and will probably give them away before moving. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/134899262069008

Back to Larry and his Caddy... I always thought of caddy's as over sized gas guzzlers....Until my father bought an early 80's Eldorado. Very sweet ride. But even then practicality and reason took over, and he traded it in for a Toyota Cressida. Still had all the bells and whistles but got twice the MPGs and was reliable to a fault.

Chiming in on the Cadillac part, man one of my all time favorite cars was my old 1980 coupe deville. What a ride! Yes, gas guzzler, yes, impractical, and yes I was pretty young when I had it. But man, what a ride. I still fantasize about how comfortable that car was to drive. Plus, there was basically a couch in the back seat, and it had a "10 gun" trunk according to my surfer friends. Of all of the cars I've ever had (over 25 different cars, trucks, Jeeps etc) that is the only one I sincerely miss.

Well if I can put my hands on the wire harness for my Highlander and rent a trailer I will let you know. Maybe than winch it in with a come along or something
LMichaels, I also have a Highlander and have been able to transport Spirits, Genesis and even a "Summit Gold D4" in the back with the backseats folded down. The trick is to remove the grill lid prior to loading, and laying them flat on their back.

I also use the lid itself to place all the moving parts, grates, flav bars, heat reflectors, etc.

A couple of Sundays ago I picked up two(2) Genesis grills in CT. One E310 in the backseat and a Genesis II on the roof with the cookbox and lid sitting in the passenger's seat.

Attachments

• Highlander Roof Rack.jpg
    Highlander Roof Rack.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 10
By 1980 those were not "real" caddies. They were rebadged Chevies. Mine was a "real" Caddy. 1969 Coupe De Ville. A beautiful ride with a very powerful 472 V8. 500 lb ft of move the globe torque. MPG? Ha! Most of the time all I ever saw was 6mpg on premium. It could squeak out about 15 on the road but in town 6 was all I could manage. It made a lot of "dings" on the pump when it was being filled. Loved that car. One night coming down a deserted Route 14 out of Barrington from Kelsey's Road House I was cooking along at just shy of 100 mph. My buddy asked why I was driving so slow. I said look at the speedo. He nearly peed his pants LOL. A true Mafia Staff Car. I could have stacked the bodies in the huge trunk like cordwood :D
Re what I can fit in my Highlander I know I can fit a whole *&itload in it. Heck when I took my Wolf home it came home in a little Saturn Vue. So I know that Wolf would definitely fit in the Highlander. The issue is by myself I cannot lift the grill head or the cart into the Highlander. Which is why a trailer to simply winch the Wolf onto would be called for if I have to do it by myself.
BTW note the license plate on the caddy. It is a Bicentennial IL plate and the red white and blue city tag on the windshield. The blue car was my mom's 71 Lemans and that little green Vega belonged to the shop foreman I worked for at Cadillac.
And the photo was taken only about 5 blocks from where Harrison Ford grew up LOL

69-Caddy-Coupe.jpg

Back