All the heat leaving out the back

Sam-TX

TVWBB Fan
I'm not sure if this is normal, supposed to be there, or if I can plug this w/o the grill exploding.

The heat is escaping out the back here:

IMG_5839.JPG

I'm not sure if there's maybe a piece of metal missing here and the hole is too big, or otherwise. I like to use my grill as s moker

I'm not sure if this is normal, supposed to be there, or if I can plug this w/o the grill exploding.

View attachment 86793

I'm not sure if there's maybe a piece of metal missing here and the hole is too big, or otherwise. I like to use my grill as s moker
Unlike charcoal, wood, pellet or electric grills, gas grills need to be well vented in order to work properly. Just the nature of the beast.

Hah, ok. It's keeping my temps above the grates low for smoking unfortunately. Can't get it to reach 270 with a single burner

What grill are you using?
I should add this to my profile:

Summit B4 Platinum

The issue is when it gets windy the temps drop precipitously. If the wind is still, it gets me the temps I want/need.

I finally made the best pulled pork I've done yet

View attachment 86793

Absolutely do not try to block off that opening. As others have said, doing so would be a major safety issue. It's required for proper ventilation. #IworkforWeber

And it's part of Weber's Safety/Danger/Warning/Caution instructions in the manual.
I know most just gloss over that part , but....
my 2000 Silver B manual states 24 inches clearance to compostable material.

I should put up metal backsplash behind my grills.

Growing up we had a permanent mounted gas grill on the back deck. It had a similar vent in the back like the Genesis grills. It was litterally 3" from the top railing on the deck. After 15 years, that railing was black. I am kind of surprised it never really caught fire. At the time, I was a kid and thought it kind of being an issue, but as a kid, I didn't stress out over it. I never did ask my dad about it.

Back