All Kobe beef in the US is a tasty scam

I think the bigger point is truth in labeling.

I read this on another site which resonates here: The Certified Angus Beef™ (CAB) brand is a trademarked brand designed to market beef. It has very little to do with quality. Amazingly, CAB does not actually certify that the beef labeled Certified Angus Beef is Angus or that it even has any Angus in it. Their major control is that the steer must have a black hide, which is an indicator, but not a guarantee of Angus in its genes. So just what are they certifying?

Well, the carcass must pass 10 quality control standards. CAB can be ordered as select, choice, or prime grade. The one thing you can be sure of, CAB will cost more because the American Angus Association charges a fee to "certify" the steers and higher markups take place on down the line.

Kobe Beef comes from Wagyu cattle, a special breed that is genetically disposed to have high marbling. It was first popularized in the Kobe Prefecture of Japan where it became known generically as Kobe beef. Kobe cattle are fed sake and beer mash during the final fattening stages and some even get daily massages! Some of it is graded A1-A5 with A5 having the most marbling. Some of it is graded with a marbling score called BMS. USDA prime is 4 to 5 BMS, which is where Wagyu beef usually starts. American Wagyu is usually 4 to 10 BMS. Japenese Wagyu can go up to 12 BMS because of the feed and handling regimen.

Wagyu cattle are now also raised in the US and other countries. American Wagyu does not have to adhere to the same feeding and massaging standards as Kobe. At twice the price of prime is it worth it?

That's a question the customer has to answer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dwain Pannell:
I read this on another site which resonates here... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not picking on you Dwain, just the source you quoted from. It's misinformed according to the Forbes article at the start of this thread. Kobe beef does not come from Wagyu cattle. Wagyu is not even a breed. Cows getting massages and drinking beer is a myth.

Truth in labeling in important, to be sure. In America, we're fond of "branding", and as you point out with CAB, it's not always clear what value a brand really offers. On the other hand, Designations of Origin for things like "Parmigiano Reggiano" and "Proscuitto di Parma" and "Champagne" are so strictly defined that consumers pretty much know exactly what they're getting. The name itself is the truth in labeling.

Regards,
Chris

Like Chris, this is not towards you but what you copied in the post. It contradicts itself by saying “it has very little to do with quality” and then “the carcass must pass 10 quality control standards.”

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Certified Angus Beef™ (CAB) brand is a trademarked brand designed to market beef. It has very little to do with quality. Amazingly, CAB does not actually certify that the beef labeled Certified Angus Beef is Angus or that it even has any Angus in it. Their major control is that the steer must have a black hide, which is an indicator, but not a guarantee of Angus in its genes. So just what are they certifying?

Well, the carcass must pass 10 quality control standards. CAB can be ordered as select, choice, or prime grade. The one thing you can be sure of, CAB will cost more because the American Angus Association charges a fee to "certify" the steers and higher markups take place on down the line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CAB has to do with quality as there are 10 criteria it must meet. The American Angus Association is not certifying the steers, the USDA is certifying that the carcass meets the 10 criteria set forth by CAB.

Link to USDA regarding CAB critera http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1....cName=STELDEV3025519

10 criteria
1. Modest or higher degree of marbling
2. Medium or fine marbling texture
3. "A" maturity
4. 10 to 16 square-inch ribeye area
5. Less than 1,000-pound hot carcass weight
6. Less than 1-inch fat thickness
7. Moderately thick or thicker muscling
8. No hump on the neck exceeding 5 cm
9. Practically free of capillary rupture
10. No dark cutting characteristics

There is no such thing as "select" CAB meat. There is select "angus", select "black angus".

CAB is in the top 1/3 of the USDA grading scale, which includes all prime and the top portion of the choice. Prime accounts for around 3% of the grading and choice around 50%.

So CAB is based on the quality of the carcass / meat. It is not stating a lineage of cattle or breed. So if I have to pay more for higher quality meat, I am fine with that. Honestly I don’t care what breed I am buying, I care about the quality of the meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dwain Pannell:
I read this on another site which resonates here... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not picking on you Dwain, just the source you quoted from. It's misinformed according to the Forbes article at the start of this thread. Kobe beef does not come from Wagyu cattle. Wagyu is not even a breed. Cows getting massages and drinking beer is a myth.

Truth in labeling in important, to be sure. In America, we're fond of "branding", and as you point out with CAB, it's not always clear what value a brand really offers. On the other hand, Designations of Origin for things like "Parmigiano Reggiano" and "Proscuitto di Parma" and "Champagne" are so strictly defined that consumers pretty much know exactly what they're getting. The name itself is the truth in labeling.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...but it must be true...I read it on the internet.
icon_smile.gif

Back