Alfred E Newman Flavorizer Bar Award

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
There have been plenty of posts about flavorizer bars on the forums. When to replace, what to replace them with, how to maintain them. From the "What Me Worry" aspect unless they have holes in them not from manufacturing, do they even need replacement? We've got two 2007 Genesis grills still on original FB's. Some have some rust, some have some warpage, but they all burn off drippings and keep them from getting on the burner tubes. Only require occasional brushing to keep the chunkies off. When I was starting out, I even bought a spare set of SS FB's when a barbecue store was doing seasonal clearance. Not yet used. I'm not flipping grills, so what me worry?

Last edited:
Dan, yah, they are more functional than anything else. As long as they do their job, they are good to go. When the edges get all rotted out or they start developing holes in them, then worry about replacing them. If you have quality stainless steel ones, they will last manyyy years before they need replacing. And really, a brand new set won't benefit you in any real way over an old set as long as you keep the old set relatively clean.

Yep, shiny new ones are another example of "eye candy" to impress prospective buyers. It does work, too!

Back