Alcohol gel starters

Ted from Bristow

TVWBB Member
I was reading the article on the main page titled "starting a charcoal chimney". It outlined several products/methods you can use to start the chimney, but "alcohol-based liquid gel" caught my eye. Any reason hand sanitizer wouldn't work for this? Most contains 70%+ ethyl alcohol and is very flammable (don't ask me how I know).
I only ask because I typically have 2-3 bottles of this stuff in my house at any given time. I'm more of a soap and water guy myself when it comes to hand washing, so I'd like to find a productive use for the sanitizer.

I guess you could as long as you use alcohol based sanitizer and not Triclosan ones. But it is weird and probably more expensive than a scrap of paper. ;)

Fritos also work nicely...

Regarding the hand sanitizer, as Tom pointed out if it's alcohol based it should work. I came across a technique years ago for lighting a chimney with only two pieces of newspaper. Fold the paper in a triangle(ish) shape by folding across corner to corner. Roll the paper up into a long roll, then form it into a circle and put as a ring in the bottom of the chimney. Do that for a 2nd piece and

Back