Alambres............ anybody else grilling them?

Bob Walters

TVWBB Member
I'm grilling alambres (wire in Spanish) tonight and I typed up the recipe for a friend. I thought I would share it here in case anyone is interested in something different. Alambre is Mexican street food popular in Mexico City. It's easy to make, quick to cook and everyone can add hot sauce to their own alambre to suit their own tastes.

ALAMBRE (WIRE)​

INGREDIENTS:

• Steak (Any beef will do, depending on your budget. If you’re feeling flush, go for a nice piece of steak. If not, a piece of round steak is fine.)
  • Green Bell Pepper
  • Onion
  • Bacon (thick cut with plenty of fat is better)
  • Meat Marinade
  • Large Flour Tortillas
  • Hot Sauce

TECHNIQUE:

• Cut ingredients (except tortillas) into skewer sized pieces. Aim for pieces of beef about an inch and a quarter by an inch and a quarter by half inch thick or perhaps a little bit smaller. Cut the bacon to match the size of the beef.
  • Put the beef into any liquid beef marinade either your own brew or something from a dry package. Follow the directions but marinade cheap beef longer than expensive steak.
  • Prepare the grill.
  • Dampen and wring out a clean tea towel.
  • Open the package of tortillas, place them on the damp towel, and wrap them to prevent the tortillas from drying out.
  • Remove the beef from the marinade and skewer the components, alternating ingredients. Be sure to put a piece of bacon next to each piece of meat; i.e. onion, pepper, bacon, meat, onion, pepper, bacon, meat, and so-on. Flat skewers are best.
  • Alambres may be prepared ahead of time to this point and taken to a picnic or a “Bring Your Own Meat” BBQ party.
  • Grill Alambres, preferably over charcoal; however, a gas grill is OK. Turn as necessary.
  • Cook until the pepper and onion edges are charred and the bacon is cooked.
  • During the last minute or so, cover the skewers with a few tortillas to warm them but don’t let them dry out.
  • Put the cooked ingredients into the tortilla. Usually one skewer will make two alambres.
  • Add your favorite hot sauce to taste, roll up like a burrito, and enjoy.

There is a very good Mexican restaurant near us that makes killer alambres (and cochinita pibil). They are closed right now, and I think I might give this a try. Thanks for posting that.

Back