Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu!

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
It's that time of year that the yaki-tori meets the sake, and good cheer flies freely.

We have an annual Sho-Gatsu party at our house, and I always do yaki-tori, it's tradition every year rain or shine. Good chance for me to get rid of the bag of Cowboy/Whole-Foods-365 Hardwood Charcoal also!
icon_wink.gif

(linky pics)

My 13 year old daughter made this Yule Log (Buche De Noel) all by herself!

How long did your daughter "season" that log?? haha Any chance you could mail me the splits??

Looks delicious. This site might be the leading cause of over-eating.... my goodness I'm starving and I just ate!

Looking good, Alan.

Any chance you could post your yaki tori recipe? I'd like to compare it to mine.

are those mushrooms real? or merengue? I'm impressed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Hutson:
Is that mesquite or oak? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not oak, but hardwood. I had a bag of Whole Foods 365, which is sourced from Cowboy per the naked wiz site.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Any chance you could post your yaki tori recipe? I'd like to compare it to mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have posted the tari sauce, over in the sauce fora a while back. I use the kettle, put coal in the center only, and try to keep the stick on either side of the coals, but they invariably will burn sometimes anyway. In Japan they have a special narrow tray they 'que them in, so I kinda simulate in the Weber Kettle.

2 styles in Japan, shio and tari. The shio just has salt sprinkled on it, they do the teba like that also (wings) by pulling them apart and sticking the mid and drumette on a bamboo skewer. Best to do shio fist, it really needs the heat and as you continue to cook the coals start getting weak.

Another trick to making the sauce is to use the chicken skin, toss it over the coals just a bit, and dunk it in the tari sauce. Keep doing that and reduce the skin in the sauce. This makes the best tari sauce, a trick a guy from Kagoshima taught me.
icon_smile.gif

Direct cooking, keep the lid handy in case the fire kicks up, as it will with the tari sauce.

Don't overcook, it's easy to do and will get very dried out, and best eaten hot of course. My wife prefers the thigh meat the best, I cooked up 18 lbs. of boneless chicken thighs yesterday. I think we ended up with about 150-160 sticks. My daughter stuck all the chicken as well.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
are those mushrooms real? or merengue? I'm impressed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, they are merengue, I think she powered them with cocoa possibly. It has about 12 oz. of Giradelli chocolate in the frosting and inside. It also has marzipan in the center, with a chestnut creame and almond paste. Very tasty, she did good...it was the first time for her to try something so complicated, she has learned quite a lot from my wife, who teaches cooking classes in Japanese.
icon_smile.gif

Scooter,

Unfortunately it's all gone...
icon_frown.gif

Alan, That's a mighty Damn fine looking spread there in pic 2. Your daughters yule log looks awesome as well. Great job by all.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Another trick to making the sauce is to use the chicken skin, toss it over the coals just a bit, and dunk it in the tari sauce. Keep doing that and reduce the skin in the sauce. This makes the best tari sauce, a trick a guy from Kagoshima taught me. Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the recipe. Its very similar to what I do, however I grill and slightly blacken a couple chicken wings (or wing tips if I plan on using the wings as the dish). I'll break them up and toss them into the sauce as it reduces. You are so right in how great this makes the sauce taste, kind of like a rich roasted stock base.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Yes, they are merengue, I think she powered them with cocoa possibly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I saw Jacques Pepin making those very mushrooms on pbs and thought those were outrageously cool. Make sure you let her know that I'm impressed and thought they were real! couldn't figure out why someone would put real mushrooms on a cake though. My daughter's almost 5 and is really into cooking. For xmas, my wife got her Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventures with 46 Recipes and she's been carrying it around calling it her favorite book. Your daughter might be a bit old for it, but we are all impressed with it, the story is a bit Like Eloise meets Julia Child.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> she has learned quite a lot from my wife, who teaches cooking classes in Japanese. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got my wife a book on Tsukemono. got a quick suggestion that we should try?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Another trick to making the sauce is to use the chicken skin, toss it over the coals just a bit, and dunk it in the tari sauce. Keep doing that and reduce the skin in the sauce. This makes the best tari sauce, a trick a guy from Kagoshima taught me. Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the recipe. Its very similar to what I do, however I grill and slightly blacken a couple chicken wings (or wing tips if I plan on using the wings as the dish). I'll break them up and toss them into the sauce as it reduces. You are so right in how great this makes the sauce taste, kind of like a rich roasted stock base. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, same difference. The thigh skin is better for that, but the wings will work fine. The thigh skin is a bit fattier, so works well for that. My wife like the thigh better for yaki-tori as it doesn't get as dried out (and cheaper than breast, so it's a win-win).
I think I saw Jacques Pepin making those very mushrooms on pbs and thought those were outrageously cool. Make sure you let her know that I'm impressed and thought they were real! couldn't figure out why someone would put real mushrooms on a cake though. My daughter's almost 5 and is really into cooking. For xmas, my wife got her Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventures with 46 Recipes and she's been carrying it around calling it her favorite book. Your daughter might be a bit old for it, but we are all impressed with it, the story is a bit Like Eloise meets Julia Child. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It could have very well been Jacques Pepin who she saw, she saw a guest chef on Martha Stewart's show and got the recipe off her website. She prepared for a couple days, getting the stuff ready. She was really bummed with the mushrooms when she first cooked the caps and stems, they didn't look like mushrooms at all...*lol* But she got pretty excited after getting them together with the dust on top, and then they started to look like mushrooms.
icon_wink.gif

I just got my wife a book on Tsukemono. got a quick suggestion that we should try? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most of that stuff my wife just wings it. I'll ask her if she has any recipes written down, or can translate one to english. She really doesn't keep those types of recipes around as that is just mainstay and she does it all the time. She'll often just cut up some Japanese cucumbers in pieces, with some cabbage, and I'm not sure what she does to it, adds some rice vinegar, or sake, I'm not sure...but the Tsukemono doesn't need to sit very long, sometimes she'll do it the same day she serves it. There is another style that is done inside bran and/or soy/miso, and it ages for a while, my mother-in-law does that for me, my wife doesn't do that very often. That is done with the smaller round radish, kabu possibly, I can't remember the name. This is done in a miso/bran mixture I believe.

My wife also makes her own miso, she just got done doing a batch. It took about 3-6 months. That's a kinda complicated process or cooking the soy beans and letting them age.

When New Years comes around, the Japanese have a lot of food that has been aged/pickled so that it doesn't need to be refrigerated as much, since during New Year (Sho-Gatsu) most of the country closes down, and in the old days people didn't have refrigerators. Much of the stuff is cooked in sake/vinegar/etc...to preserve it. Things like the kobumaki, that's a very traditional dish which I love as it looks like little presents wrapped up. My MIL has always made that for me at New Years as a kinda tradition as she has always felt it unusual that I will even eat it. *lol* That dish is pretty hard to make as you have to prepare the kobu, then the fish, and the daikon to wrap it, etc...not to mention it needs to cook for about 8 hours or something.

Good luck to you and your wife in the quest to learn Japanese cuisine, it's all about preparation and presentation, even if it's not cooked, which much of their food is not. Sometimes very subtle, it is those small details that become apparent when served.

Most of the Japanese folks we know have not cooked yaki-tori, since most don't have bbq's in Japan and always go out to eat it. But a few have taught me some tricks, like brazing the skin over the coals, but the majority don't 'que much until they get here to the states. By the time most families go back to Japan, they typically have a Weber kettle, they seem to go more traditional and prefer charcoal. I only cook with charcoal, no gas 'ques at my house, but I have about 4 or 5 'ques. BTW, you'll see a pic in the galleries that those pics above link to with some smoked salmon...a friend of mine does that in a propane smoker (Great Mountain or some similar name. He uses Japanese Okanomiyaki sauce on it that my wife turned him onto, he considers it his secret sauce...*lol* He always has to get this one specific brand, and he can't pronounce it properly, so he always calls it ogugimagi sauce or something like that...but he knows which bottle to buy at the Japanese market we send him to...(Mitsuwa, but Marukai just opened in Cupertino). He brines the salmon for 2 hours, let's it dry for 2 hours, and he said the fat will come to the surface...(leave the fat there), smoke it for 1 hour at 190, and 2 hours at 110, which is almost like a cold smoke. Comes out great, my wife uses that for sushi rice and makes rolls out of it (we call it Bobu-Maki as his name is Bob
icon_wink.gif
).

Thanks for all the compliments, give it try guys, the yaki-tori is a big hit always, it's just a PITA to stick...(my daughter will do it as she likes yaki-tori, but will always complain while doing it...
icon_wink.gif
It is a very easy dish that goes over really well, great for appetizers, or main course, best served hot off the grill...so it's good to eat while chit-chatting out by the 'ques...you guys could do this in your sleep...it's that easy. After you make your own tari sauce, it opens up some possibilities, you can make it thin or thick and experiment...

Thanks Alan, your posts and replies are always a pleasure to read.

I didn't think about the fat from the skin enriching the sauce, I was thinking the goal was to flavor the sauce with the meat, and liberate some collagen from the connective tissue. But what ever works I suppose. If you go your way, you don't get the joy of eating a grilled wing that has completely soaked up the sauce to the bone.
icon_wink.gif

Have you happen to see this book:

Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)

I got it for my wife along with the tsukenomo book. I only skimmed it, but she's started reading it and says its really good.

Thanks Alan, your posts and replies are always a pleasure to read.

I didn't think about the fat from the skin enriching the sauce, I was thinking the goal was to flavor the sauce with the meat, and liberate some collagen from the connective tissue. But what ever works I suppose. If you go your way, you don't get the joy of eating a grilled wing that has completely soaked up the sauce to the bone.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That works also! I'll have to try that as well...
icon_smile.gif

Have you happen to see this book:
Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)

I got it for my wife along with the tsukenomo book. I only skimmed it, but she's started reading it and says its really good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, I haven't seen it, but it looks like a nice book. My wife has a lot of books she brought from Japan, but most of them are in Japanese, so I can't read them...
icon_frown.gif

That book has a pic on Amazon, 2nd one over, some type of Renkon salad (Lotus Root). That looks good, as does the sushi in ice...there's a traditional style of Japanese cuisine called Kaiseki and once my FIL took me to dinner in Japan for this style when we first met, they served us sushi in an ice igloo! It was very cool, not sure how they did that...

I've bought her some of the iron chef's books, I think the guy's name was Sakai that she liked most, but the other Chinese guy that used to compete was a favorite for her also...I think his name was Chin. She probably doesn't use them much anymore, I bet they sit on the book shelf! *lol*

Pretty un-eventful night last night, but still had some of that Whole Foods 365 left after the yaki-tori, so did some surf 'n turf...nothing like chasing skirts and tails!
icon_wink.gif

surf-n-turf.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, we value presentation as much as the food itself! Not sure how those paper plates snuck in there though...my wife was looking for easy clean-up...
icon_wink.gif

Back