Ahi poke 2 ways, butter garlic fried rice

What no furikake?
i had some but didn't serve it. the garlic butter fried rice has a lot of flavor so furikake wasn't really needed.

rice was day old basmati, salt, white pepper, two scrambled eggs, tsp oyster sauce, splash of soy sauce, avo oil as the fry oil to fry the rice. butter and granulated garlic tossed in early on in the cook. when done, finished with a drizzle of sesame oil and tossed one more time. this is a Benihana style fried rice.

Costco’s finest. Flown in from Hawaii. These were some great loins.

Looks good and I am sure tastes good too but I do like my meat to at least touch fire for a few seconds....
On the other hand I did pick up some tuna steaks that are apparently flown in from the East coast......???? Not sure......Specialty fish shop.
Anyways....they look pretty good but not as good as yours looks cubed up.
I plan on seasoning them and hitting them with really grates for a minute or so per side.
I have only made this a couple times and only used salt n pepper...any suggestions is welcomed.

The MRS will probably ask for one thats closer to rare rather than your traditional looking blue.
She gets like that.....every piece of meat I cook she inspects each bite she takes.......:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
I swear I have only undercooked one burger in the pitch black for her and maybe a slightly under steak once.........
That iberico pork roast I made was rare edge to edge and that was fine so I don't get her sometimes........

Looks good and I am sure tastes good too but I do like my meat to at least touch fire for a few seconds....
On the other hand I did pick up some tuna steaks that are apparently flown in from the East coast......???? Not sure......Specialty fish shop.
Anyways....they look pretty good but not as good as yours looks cubed up.
I plan on seasoning them and hitting them with really grates for a minute or so per side.
I have only made this a couple times and only used salt n pepper...any suggestions is welcomed.

The MRS will probably ask for one thats closer to rare rather than your traditional looking blue.
She gets like that.....every piece of meat I cook she inspects each bite she takes.......:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
I swear I have only undercooked one burger in the pitch black for her and maybe a slightly under steak once.........
That iberico pork roast I made was rare edge to edge and that was fine so I don't get her sometimes........
When you figure out women, please write a book and let us know. You’ll likely become an overnight billionaire.

When you figure out women, please write a book and let us know. You’ll likely become an overnight billionaire.

Don't get me started......some are crazy I would say......some seem not crazy........no offense stated here to anyone.
I married one up that actually understands that men and women think differently.
So when we get off on different paths.....sometimes she will actually say, I get it...this is what you think....but....... LOL...
Anyways that is all good.

About the tuna........
Any recommends besides the salt n pepper?

Don't get me started......some are crazy I would say......some seem not crazy........no offense stated here to anyone.
I married one up that actually understands that men and women think differently.
So when we get off on different paths.....sometimes she will actually say, I get it...this is what you think....but....... LOL...
Anyways that is all good.

About the tuna........
Any recommends besides the salt n pepper?
If you’re going to cook the tuna, I like a sesame crusted tuna. Seared on each side for 1-2 minutes and then rested. It’ll be cooked on the outside and very rare to raw at the center.

SP tuna on the grill is really basic. You could take a Tbs of orange or pineapple orange frozen juice concentrate and add some soy sauce and sesame oil as a 5 minute marinade and then a quick grill sear to get to rare. Tuna takes citrus really well.

Or you could make a soy, ginger, garlic brown sugar glaze and sear with that basted onto the outside.

We like the clean flavor of tuna so we only enhance it, not try to cover it up.

And I’ve done some SBRs with ACV and made bbq tuna cubes. Like a burnt ends. You want to skewer these and cook over direct heat, elevated above the grate so you can caramelize the sauce and keep the tuna moist.

Lmk if you need more inspo. Tuna and salmon are faves here. We love fresh seafood.

Last edited:
Excellent.
We enjoy tuna and salmon a lot as well......but we eat mostly salmon.
The dry brine process I posted many times makes her happy....she doesn't like a " fish " smell or taste so lighter fish and seafood she loves.
I like yourself enjoy the clean flavor and eat most of it fairly plain.....appreciate the ideas of the tuna.....
Might look into something like you said with ginger / soy / sesame ideas......our diet has changed and flavors as well as adding lots of heat is the new thing at our place.
Thanks again.

Excellent.
We enjoy tuna and salmon a lot as well......but we eat mostly salmon.
The dry brine process I posted many times makes her happy....she doesn't like a " fish " smell or taste so lighter fish and seafood she loves.
I like yourself enjoy the clean flavor and eat most of it fairly plain.....appreciate the ideas of the tuna.....
Might look into something like you said with ginger / soy / sesame ideas......our diet has changed and flavors as well as adding lots of heat is the new thing at our place.
Thanks again.
From my camera roll. Sesame crusted CI seared tuna.

1698421126298.jpeg

From my camera roll. Sesame crusted CI seared tuna.

Just to be clear.......
Lightly seared tuna and then coated with the seeds?
Is white and dark seeds important?
Did you need to apply anything for the seeds to stick....
Also did you toast the seeds at all or would that add flavors you weren't looking for?

I watch too much cooking videos..sorry.

Back