Ahhh....Minnesota.

Mark Dietrich

TVWBB Member
Well, here goes nothing. It's 9:00am and minus 8 on the deck, and I've got two butts on the WSM. Roughly 7 lbs each. Anyone with winter experience know how long this ought to take? We probably won't make it to ten above today. Wind isn't an issue, though. It's a beautiful day.

Cheers,

Since there's no Alberta Clipper today and fighting the wind won't be a problem, the butts should take just as long to cook today as they would in July.

You'll definitely use more fuel overall to keep your Bullet up to temperature but it will be 225-250 under the lid regardless of the season. The butts don't know or care what it's like outside.

Sounds like you've found a great way to spend the day before the night after.

HTH

It's all about the wind and since you said it's calm, you'll be fine. I've never measured such things, but I don't recall using more fuel just because it's cold outside. Wind will suck the heat right out of the WSM and mess with your cook times and fuel consumption, but if it's just cold, you can pretty much go about your cook the same as usual - at least that's what I do. Good luck!

A couple hours south of you in northern Iowa I got 1 degree right now. Been out preping the WSM for a new years brisket. Nice day as you said for smokin, dead calm
icon_smile.gif
Although my fingers are typin a little slow from being out there. I use more fuel durring winter cooks as opposed to summer. I dont know if its because its generally more windy in the winter or the ambient temp. Just keep an eye on it towords the end of your cook, and you'll be fine. Happy new year!

Brandon

Back