AHH, ENHANCED BUTT! Help needed.

Lucius

TVWBB Member
So there's only one place close to me that I've found that even carries butts. The costco doesn't carry them and the briskets they carry are pre-trimmed.

Anyway, I just picked up a butt for tomorrow. Unfortunately things have changed since the last time I was there a few months ago. Their butts are now injected with 12% solution. Quick glance at all the smithfield pork products on display showed they were all "enhanced."

First time, and hopefully last, using enhanced meat. Anyone have an idea how much I should reduce the salt in the rub by?

Sorry you couldn't get a non-injected butt. I wonder though...would soaking a butt in water remove the brine? It'd be a hypotonic solution...theoretically, the stuff should diffuse toward the h2o until the solutions are balanced. I've never done it before, but it's a thought.

I'd not salt at all. I hate "At least 88% pork" products. My local IGA sells juiced Smithfield pork. I bought beef filets there today, but went a couple of miles down the street to BiLo for unjuiced Smithfield ribs. BiLo and Piggly Wiggly here sell all natural pork. IGA is always juiced. Walmart, I have to look closely at the labels -- some is juiced, some not.

Came out fine I thought. Dad commented that it was a little hammy and a little saltier than normal (not that he was complaining).

If your Costco carries country style ribs, than they have boneless pork butts. You will have to talk to one of the butchers and ask them to sell you one of the cryovaced packages. (two to a pack for about 1.89 a pound)

Back