Agave nectar on ribs?

Jeff Langer

TVWBB Fan
Saw it on BBQ Pitmasters the other day and am going to try it over the 4th... Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

It common to use that or honey for competition style bu it sure is different from good ol BBQ

If you are looking for that flavor give it a try

Going to cook some ribs and chicken over the 4th... Think I might try some on a rack or two just to see how it turns out!

Thanks Jeff!

I tried it a few weeks back, it will make your ribs really sweet. A bit too sweet for me but if you like them that way, I'm sure you'll be happy with the result.

Maybe thin it out with a little apple cider vinegar? Boy des ths sond lie a long thread in th making!

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Give it a try and report back Jeff.

FWIW, and despite what people who taste them say, I have never once put Honey or Agave in my rib foil, whether for competition or home consumption.

Originally posted by Jeff Bryson:
Are they sweeter with agave versus brown sugar and turbinado?

I would say that they were sweeter than with brown sugar and turbinado. I didn't dislike the results, it just wasn't what I'd nornally prefer.

Originally posted by Gerd H:
Give it a try and report back Jeff.

FWIW, and despite what people who taste them say, I have never once put Honey or Agave in my rib foil, whether for competition or home consumption.

Ill let you know on the 4th!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I used it a cpl weeks ago for some babybacks. Here is my wrap prepped for my rack to be placed on.
IMG_0710.jpg

After an hour in the foil, I hit them with some rub and ate them dry.I thought the ribs were very good.

I use the agave as a sauce. I mix it with ketchup, apple cider vin, a little hot sauce, a little worcestershire a squirt of lemon and a squirt of lime. I don't have exact measurements, just aproximates. Then I paint it on the last half hour. It works for pork and chicken equally well. Never used it on beef though as I like to taste good BBQ'd beef.

Well all I say is wow! I used agave, brown sugar, and squirt butter and the ribs were amazing. My father in law and son said they were the best ribs they had ever eaten. My father in law also made the comment that he couldn't go to any restaurant and get better ribs than mine were today.

I used the 3-2-1 method cooking spares and was very happy with the way they turned out.

Back