After the dust settled this weekend !

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
I know a LOT of you will know what I mean but when your doing a BIG cook lots a meat and it runs into 2 days your a bit tired unless your 20 yrs old and Iam sure NOT .
icon_smile.gif
And I normaly don't eat much the days of the cook .

Well everyone was gone wife and dogs asleep and I slipped down to the kitchen and made myself a nice big brisket samich
icon_biggrin.gif
and it was so good BEEF nervana OMG it was good . it was worth all the work for that little 15 minute a quit time . I like PP and I luv ribs ! But there is somthing about brisket done right that is special . I wish I could make a samich like that for everyone in the world because everyone that likes good Q deserves it . And only folks like us Q nuts really know what Iam talking about .

I hope everyone here had the nervana moment with good friends or alone after the cook with a midnight snack this 4th holiday . Being able to cook good Q and have such abundunce is a blessing . with folks in this country going hungry I almost feel guilty
icon_smile.gif

But it was fun watching everyone enjoy the food and feed my friends and family . Iam dead tired but it was all worth it and only you folks really understand what iam trying to say here . iam not real good with words . Iam only the pitmaster at my house and we all know it can be a LOT a work but the rewards are worth it .

My wife and I did it as a team even created all our rubs even for our fish Friday night Talapia with a touch of her dry fish rub and lime squeezed on it .

Iam truly thankful with such bounty as we have seen displayed here by many of you and the feast we had here .

It truly was a great birthday party for the good ol USA .

Iam done with my ramble But I had to say it to someone and I know you folks know what I a talking about and understand .
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks for listening
icon_smile.gif

Our menu was
6 slabs a loin backs
3 butts 29 lbs
packer brisket 12 to 14 lbs
baked beans
my wifes noodle salad amazing stuf
and we topped it off with a grilled peach cobbler and
water melon with lots a ice tea beer and pop

and the only thing not made from scratch was the sauces I served 3 diffrent flavors of sweet baby rays . I have a IMO great sauce recipe but just couldn't squeez the time in to make it . a good time was had by all .

What a menu, Guy!

Everybody was off yesterday, and we had family over so I smoked spares....a bunch. We had invited another couple over, but didn't really think they'd come. Well, they called and it sounded like they might, and we already had a couple of friends of my kids coming over, etc....so I had a cooker full of nine slabs of spares, and my wife thinks it might not be quite enough.
icon_confused.gif

Well, another chimney of charcoal lit..a dozen fryer thighs picked up and seasoned and I'm putting them on the OTG between the two piles of K in record time! They were done and sauced with SBR in just over an hour, from the time I thought about adding 'em to the cook!

Meanwhile, back to the spares: Well, the couple I didn't think would come, didn't come, of course, and we had plenty of ribs left....of course. The wife made Keri C.'s Hog Apple Baked Beans. (The verdict on that recipe is that the proportions are WAY off, mainly not enough beans, and a bit spicy for most, but it's a very goood starting place for a great recipe.)

Regarding the ribs, I've never cooked that many spares on my little wsm before: 4 St. Louis trimmed, .5 slab untrimmed on the top grate, and 4.5 untrimmed on the bottom...using the dinky Charbroil rib and tater racks for both levels.

Verdict: a little tight for the untrimmed on the bottom so they cooked a bit uneven. Nine, maybe even ten trimmed slabs would've been fine, but untrimmed makes them flop to the side much more....I'm thinking 6 slabs max unless small.

Regarding temps: I read all the time hear about cooking ribs at higher temps, so I did just that: I cooked at about 275 most of the time, instead of my usual 250. Well, I don't know if it was all the brown sugar in my rub or what, but they sure darkened a bunch. I think I'd just use turbinado if I was going to cook ribs that hot next time, unfoiled the whole time.

All in all, it turned out fine, though. The untrimmed were quite juicy and a big hit, but I took the trimmed a little far....some not "falling off the bone", but "done fell off the @#%^$ bone!", if you know what I mean, mainly the ends. Blues Hog rub might be rather pitiful, but their sauce is mighty fine on some pork ribs.

I made some notes, so hopefully not to repeat mistakes next time!

Dave

Back