Advice needed: The "Smoke Cube"?

Sandee McKinivan

TVWBB Member
A co-worker is visiting Fayetteville, NC. He just e-mailed me that there is a Smoke Cube smoker avail at Wally World there for $30. I have never heard of this thing, holds a 16 lb turkey, surrounds verically inserted meat with 4 columns of charcoal.
He is looking to me for advice, since I brag at work about this site all the time.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Does anyone have any experience with this smoker?

walmart does not list it on their website. this might mean it is a trial product for them. the only two opinions i could find were from the smoke ring forum one was confused and the other negative. one person had trouble getting a response from the manufacturer of the thing. instructions called for using 7 briqs in each corner and pre-soaking with lighter fluid to start according to one owner.

after reading that experience i would say pass it up.

I saw one recently in a local WalMart, but I didn't look that closely at it. FWIW, a quick glance was enough to decide that I wasn't interested.

Thanx, Jon...yeh, I googled it & found one lukewarm review.
My friend loves Q, but he is just too cheap to follow my advice to just GO AHEAD &buy the best smoker for the money - the WSM!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Brandon A:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SANDEE MCKINIVAN:
My friend loves Q, but he is just too cheap to follow my advice to just GO AHEAD &buy the best smoker for the money - the WSM!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Its hard to make some people understand just how much better life, I mean BBQ, is when using a good smoker. I've been trying to get a friend to buy one for a couple years, instead he went out and bought this monstrosity of a pressure tank converted into a stick burning smoker, no working thermometer (2 broken ones), clumsy access to food and fire. It is painted yellow and black with a hawkeye logo on it though
icon_rolleyes.gif
What do I know
icon_wink.gif
Sorry just had to rant a bit! Cost him the same as a new 22" WSM... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you want to help your friend understand have him come over and tell him he has to check your pit every 45 minutes to an hour all nite long for temperature while doing it he has to stand there for 10 minutes each time to simulate running a cheaper bbq device.

most people will only do that once or twice before giving it up as a bad deal.
icon_smile.gif
what makes a wsm so worth it is the fact it takes all that tending out of the equation. if money is a problem you can find wsm's on ebay and craig's list for cheap and they work everybit as good as new as long as they arent structurally damaged.

Back