Advice for cleaning lid vent/daisy wheel?

DaveP-PA

After a couple months of smoking my lid vent had a decent amount of “smoke stains”. Initially I tried rubbing alcohol w/ a paper towel which did nothing (actually scratched the finish, who knew paper towels are abrasive).

The other night after a burger cook (while the kettle was warm) I used warm water on a microfiber rag which worked better, but still not that new look. Note* do not wipe a microfiber towel against the bowl where you have coals banked (ask me how I know) thankfully a wet dish scrubber took off the melted microfiber if I worked quickly.

I have thought about using a cleanser like Bar Keepers Friend. I’m looking for a solvent, that will dissolve the smoke residue/creosote and will be able to wipe away. Is there such a product?

The vents are stamped from aluminum which is very soft. So once you clean them the stains will return. I used a little simple green and steel wool. To make the scratches less noticeable work the steel wool in one direction during the final pass. You could also use a aluminum polish like Metal, or Never Dull that would make it easier to just wipe off. But you will need to repeat the polish after a good cleaning of stubborn stains.

#0000 Steel wool works. Do not use anything courser. #0000 steel wool is good at removing the rust off of the bolt but it takes a lot of time2012 3 Handle Kettle pic 27.jpg2012 3 Handle Kettle pic 51.jpg

Back