Adirondack Chairs, kiln-dried fir wood, stain and seal recommendation

I bought a couple Adirondack chairs that are natural unfinished kiln-dried fir wood.
I'd like to stain and seal them or simply just seal them. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but would like to apply something to help keep these from wearing down quickly.
They will be primarily be used on concrete under my deck, in my grilling area 😎

BobJ

TVWBB Fan
I use Spar Varnish on the canoes I build, not cheap, but this is the good stuff.

They make a Rapidcoat that does not require sanding between coats, might be nice on something like a chair that'd be a hassle to sand. I have no experience with it though.

timothy

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Depends on what you're looking for. The last batch I built for my Mom was just rubbed with a penetrating oil.
I like the weathered look, and pressure wash em after a few years to bring them up to fresh.
Tim

Depends on what you're looking for. The last batch I built for my Mom was just rubbed with a penetrating oil.
I like the weathered look, and pressure wash em after a few years to bring them up to fresh.
Tim
Can you give an example of this? When I think of penetrating oil, I think of something like Liquid Wrench.

Mainly just looking for a low cost, easy to maintain option. I've thought about just using decking stain. I've heard Spar Varnish would be good, but not an easy applicaion like Bob mentioned.

Also, do you guys recommend applying whatever stain or oil I decide to use before I assemble? I assume that would be the best option even thought would be more work.

I've got a whole container of boiled linseed oil. I use it on my black plastics and cut it 50/50 with paint thinner.

Would that 50/50 mix be good for adirondack chairs?

timothy

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Yea, you could, I would, just cut it so it's easier to apply.
The danish oil is cut with linseed and mineral spirits.
Probably will take 3-4 applications.

Tim

BobJ

TVWBB Fan
Tung Oil is a penetrating oil, I use it on paddles so the handle stays with a natural feel. I do reapply yearly.

Last edited: