Adding third grate??

MartinB

TVWBB Pro
The description says 6" between grates.

I would think most could figure out how to add another grate for a lot less than $70.

$2 for 4 screws would do it.....

J Grotz

TVWBB Super Fan
No need for an expensive kit. Purchase a new lower grate. Then use long bolts, large washers and nuts to fasten it to your existing lower grate. They should be stainless because of the proximity to food. Here is a pic I found online:

I tried this years ago. I used a full size grate (unlike the set up in the picture) and located the bolts as close to the rim as possible. The set up is mostly useful for ribs and other thin foods. It is a real hassle to get food on and off of the stacked grates. I abandoned it when I bought a 22" WSM.

If I were to do it again. I would use the newer style handle grate (photo below) as the top of the two grate stack and an old style flat grate on the bottom. The handles would allow you to pull the two grate stack out easily. Combine it with a lid hinge, and you could really minimize the amount of time the cooker is open.

A Cleland

TVWBB Super Fan
On my WSM 22.5, my setup is as follows: I foil wrap the water pan with a clay saucer inside for a heat sink. I use the original smaller grate sitting directly above the water pan. On that grate, I sit an 18 inch round, 2 inch deep, cake pan. I put about a gallon of warm water in it, and add about 6 drops of cooking oil to prevent evaporation. That pan is used to catch any and all drippings from any cooking meat. I then place the top grate on the top brackets and add the Stacker and add a second grate on it's top brackets. This setup gives me ample room to cook a ton of meat, and also control any hotspots by forcing the hottest air away from the center of the Smoker. When cooking ribs, this is super important so as not to burn the smaller tips. As with any cooking method, you have to experiment and find out what works best for you. I always have a Weber Charcoal Performer next to my WSM when I am cooking. This gives me a place to park the lid, move the Stacker, place my BBQ Guru, and keep handy, all of my tools, condiments, sauces, rubs, and most important, a place to sit my beer.