Add/Subtract one thing to this Rub

Max

TVWBB Member
I had an idea for a thread, take a common rub that most of us are familiar with (Harry Soo's All-Purpose Rub) and each post can Add or Subtract (or both) something to this rub and then what kind of meat they would use it on.

All Purpose Rub

4 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp White granulated sugar
2 tbsp Brown sugar
2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Black pepper
½ TSP Cayenne pepper

I'll start...

For ribs, I would change it up be trying to put in some more savory flavor and get rid of the sweetness in the rub. I add in my sweetness when I wrap the ribs.

4 tbsp Kosher Salt
-2 tbsp White granulated sugar
2 tbsp Brown sugar
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Black pepper
½ TSP Cayenne pepper
+1 tbsp Granulated Onion powder

- 2 tbsp White granulated sugar, and + 2 tbsp of maple sugar.

Ever since I started smoking bacon, I've become addicted to maple sugar, and I now substitute white sugar with maple whenever I get a chance. It works really well on pulled pork and ribs! :cool:

-4 tbsp Kosher Salt
-2 tbsp Brown sugar
-2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Black pepper
½ TSP Cayenne pepper
+1 tbsp Granulated Onion powder
+1/2 T thyme
+ 1/2 T sage

Shake a little of this on some chicken or pork. I don't add salt to my rubs. I salt independently. Also not a big fan of sugar in my rubs.

Paul

Last edited:
i'm one of those real pain in the butt kind of guys. i think to much spices makes some actually cancel out others. these things need to be simple and to the point.
i tried differant rubs. they were good but i found that many just overwhelmed the meat. spices need to enhance the meat and not overwhelm it. so i went back to s&p and maybe some garlic powder or such and thats it. now i get a meat that i can taste. i suggest trying this occasionaly. then you can truthfully say "i prefer this" whether it be simple or complicated.

OK this will be for Tri-tip; I am going to subtract everything from Harry's rub except for the granulated garlic.
Then I will add granulated onion and celery salt. It is very simple, but a good combination that enhances flavor.

Not trying to dis Harry's rub, I like it for ribs a lot!

i'm one of those real pain in the butt kind of guys. i think to much spices makes some actually cancel out others. these things need to be simple and to the point.
i tried differant rubs. they were good but i found that many just overwhelmed the meat. spices need to enhance the meat and not overwhelm it. so i went back to s&p and maybe some garlic powder or such and thats it. now i get a meat that i can taste. i suggest trying this occasionaly. then you can truthfully say "i prefer this" whether it be simple or complicated.

Im with George on this one!

4 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tbsp White granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
2 tbsp Granulated Garlic
2 tbsp Black pepper
- ½ TSP Cayenne pepper

Brush with honey on pork the last 15-20 min.

Starting with Harry's rub, as is, I'd change the Paprika to a good quality Smoked Spanish Paprika.
Then use this as your basic rub.

The 2 types of sugar are there for a reason, and it's not just for sweetness....

Bob

For Ribs I don't sauce so i like some savory. Hard to ask this group to add or subtract only one ingredient. If I go basic simple I go with red chili, black pepper, and onion powder

4 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp Brown sugar
-2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
+ 2tbs New Mexico Red (Medium) chili powder or Chimayo chili if you can find it
2 tbsp Paprika
-1 tbsp Ground Cumin
+1 tbsp Oregano
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Black pepper
½ TSP Cayenne pepper

Interesting discussion, one question: Isn't the the salt to pepper ratio a bit high? I use the same amount of salt and pepper. And I have reflected on that rubs for ribs and chicken probably should have less salt then pepper. Any thoughts?

Interesting discussion, one question: Isn't the the salt to pepper ratio a bit high? I use the same amount of salt and pepper. And I have reflected on that rubs for ribs and chicken probably should have less salt then pepper. Any thoughts?

I'm with you on that Svein, I really try to watch my salt intake.

Back