Add 2nd handle to lid on 26.75?

Just bought a new 26.75 over the weekend and now realize the lid is large and fairly heavy. Would a possible modification be to add a 2nd handle? I've had an 18 wsm for a while and have resisted any mods that would require drilling. I see the rancher has a 2nd handle. Any thoughts? Thanks very much.

Danny,

I am in the market for a 26.75 and I totally agree with you that the second handle is needed. The problem is, unless you're willing to lie a bit to Weber CS, they won't sell you one for a Ranch Kettle or Fireplace. I believe it is really a safty issue Weber needs to address. I'm off the stump now.
icon_smile.gif

Hey Danny,
Do you want a Rancher handle? I have one if so...
butt remember... ya gotta drill holes in your lid.
Lemme know.
The NEW 26.75 kettles have the slide-a-side cover holders... a second handle is not really needed... but.....

Drilling into the lid makes me nervous. I just thought even with the side rails to slide it into the lid is still a little cumbersome and you could burn your forearm if your not careful. I did see a white handle not like the one on the 26 on the weber site. I think I will use it a few more times before deciding. Thanks Jim for the offer on the handle. Great people on this site!

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Hey Danny,
Do you want a Rancher handle? I have one if so...
butt remember... ya gotta drill holes in your lid.
Lemme know.
The NEW 26.75 kettles have the slide-a-side cover holders... a second handle is not
really needed... but.....
I agree I just bought one and with the slide a side it is pretty easy to maneuver the lid

I was considering getting one of the new platinum handles (wide & in the front) to put on my 26". The new 26" handle is not welded and a bit flimsy. But after almost year it's still doing fine.

Once I do my outdoor kitchen I will have my 26" built in, and then probably want the front handle.

Back