Adapting 3-2-1 to baby backs

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
I went to the store today to pick up some St Louis cut spares, but they looked just awful..... they had baby backs on sale right next to the spares for only $0.35/lb more, so I grabbed 4 slabs that look really nice.

It has been forever since I have cooked back ribs and have adapted the 3-2-1 method for spares to suit my tastes (works out more like 3-1.25-.75). I know that the back ribs are much more tender from the get-go and wondering if you could share you process/timing for cooking them. I'm traveling to a friend's house with the WSM & gear and really need to nail this cook.

FYI... I like my ribs to be tender enough to tear easily when taking a bite........ hate it when they fall apart when you are cutting them into singles.

Thanks......

I exclusively did baby's up until this year using 3-2-1 method....
Now its been a bit as I have done spares lately....
My method is cook until the right colour....3 hours is fine, just check temps after 2.......then I believe it was about 1.5 hours maybe a tad less.....doing 2 hours they fall apart when trying to cut them 100%.....feels like about an hour and 15 to 20...the temp would be the change factor.......Then I would set the sauce for about 20 minutes.......that's my take but I was still convincing myself I had to do better...

I generally stick real close to 3-2-1 and don’t really alter much just because it works.

They can fall off when cutting from underside but generally don’t when cutting from outside.

I have not used 3-2-1 in along time went to high heat and a lot happier. I have a slow n sear so my method is using the water tray on the performer. I use a dry rub then spray my back ribs with fake butter when I throw them on and I cook at 275 if it goes above that no problem after an hour spray them again pull after about 2 hours. I make a boat out of a double layer of foil, sprinkle brown sugar on them as well as a drizzle of honey and a bit of juice to steam them been using orange juice cause my wife drinks it so its laying around. Seal the foil up back on for about 2 hours and 20 minutes they will be close to fall off the bone not quite but sometimes they are every cook is kind of different but this works for me. So total time is about 4 hours and 20 minutes.

I always cook my ribs bone side down including when I wrap them never seen a difference in the end product doing them another way. I am starting to get more lazy next time I do them gonna pull them wrap and throw them in the oven at 275 makes life a bit easier once wrapped they ain't getting any smoke anymore anyway.

I generally buy spares and trim to St. Louis. There are just so many good uses for the trimmings. Several months back I found back ribs for a really good price and bought several slabs. For St. Louis, if I plan on wrapping, I'll cook average size slabs at 300F for 1 1/2 hrs., wrap for 45 minutes, or a bit longer, until probe tender, and finish for ~15 minutes, whether I sauce them or not. (I do make adjustments for very thick or very thin slabs.)

IIRC, I just knocked 15 or 20 minutes off of the initial step with for the back ribs and they turned out well.

I generally buy spares and trim to St. Louis. There are just so many good uses for the trimmings. Several months back I found back ribs for a really good price and bought several slabs. For St. Louis, if I plan on wrapping, I'll cook average size slabs at 300F for 1 1/2 hrs., wrap for 45 minutes, or a bit longer, until probe tender, and finish for ~15 minutes, whether I sauce them or not. (I do make adjustments for very thick or very thin slabs.)

IIRC, I just knocked 15 or 20 minutes off of the initial step with for the back ribs and they turned out well.
What types of things do you do with the trimmings?

I find ribs just take what time they take to be done. I like them falling off the bone when I bite into them but staying together at least till they're cut. I prefer a loin back ribs... spare ribs are typically more fatty .

I'll often freeze for later use in a pot of beans or Chili Verde, to make Carnitas or grind for sausage. Sometimes I cook them alongside the slabs and try out a new rub and/or sauce on them. The rib tips make great burnt ends too.
Thanks!
I bet that they would make good Korean-style sticky ribs if you braise them. I'll have to try that the next time I get a couple slabs.

Back