Adapter Hose - Q/

Michael Smotch

TVWBB Fan
I picked up a Weber q for $40. Which Adapter Hose do can you guys recommend for connecting larger propane tank?

Weber's official Adapter Hose they sell has horrible reviews.

Michael: The problem with the adapter hoses that people use on these grills is not the quality of the hose. It has more to do with the length. There is a reason that on a normal propane setup, the regulator is always in line right at the tank. But with an adapter hose, the regulator is way at the other end of the hose at the grill. This can create problems. When you open the LP tank valve, if you don't do it really slow, there will be a sudden rush of gas into the hose until it is fully pressurized. That sudden rush many times will be detected by the tank safety mechanism as a large gas leak which trips the safety mechanism and throttles down gas flow to a trickle. Then you have unhook everything and start over and open the tank very slowly at first so there is no sudden flow from the tank. Some people hook 15 foot hoses up to tanks and the longer the hose, the more likely you are to encounter the problem.
If you do want to run your Q off LP, use as short of hose as possible and open the tank very slowly at first and you should not have a problem with whatever brand of hose you use. Otherwise, you can do the regulator delete and use a standard LP hose and regulator that has the regulator right at the tank and the lock up issue is much less likely to happen. But, in that case, you won't be able to run it off the 1lb disposable cylinders any longer.

I've been using a 4' Blackstone Griddle hose for the past two years, and I have not encountered any issues yet.

I agree about cracking the tank valve slowly. I've caused my Genesis Silver to lock up a time or two.

Back