ACTUAL breast temp to pull the bird out?

Tim McG

TVWBB Member
I've seen many different recommendations as to what breast temp to pull the bird out of the smoker at. I'll be smoking two turkey bone-in breasts next week and wanted to see what everyone here was doing. Most say 160-165, but I remember Alton Brown pulling his at 151 and letting it rest to get it up over 160.

I've seen many different recommendations as to what breast temp to pull the bird out of the smoker at. I'll be smoking two turkey bone-in breasts next week and wanted to see what everyone here was doing. Most say 160-165, but I remember Alton Brown pulling his at 151 and letting it rest to get it up over 160.
If memory serves me correctly I pull at 155ish and tent on the counter for 20 minutes allowing temp to continue to rise.

I pull when the breast is 155℉ and the leg/thigh is at 170℉. Then I loosely tent with foil and let rest 20-30 minutes. Carryover cooking will take it to 160 at least.

I recall cooking the breast to 160*F one year and it was over done after resting. I now cook to 155*F. However, unlike the others above, I do not tent it because I don't want the skin to soften from the steam created. I leave it on the counter uncovered and it carries over fine because I want it crisp.

Last edited:
A breast alone can be pulled a little earlier than measuring the breast of a whole bird. You don't need to worry about getting those thighs done. I like 155, or even a little less.

Well the breasts are getting smoked tomorrow. I'm going to pull them around 150-155 and give them 20 minutes (uncovered) on the counter. Both are about 5.5 lbs and have been sitting in the brine since last night.

Back