Aces for Pre-Cooked Hams

Darrell

TVWBB Member
I cooked two 4kg (9#) pre-cooked hams on the Weber Smoker over the holidays. It was a great success. The meat was as tender as any ham I've ever had.

Cook Method
The hams were already mildly hickory smoked, but I added a 2-3 baseball sized chunks to the smoker. I smoked/reheated it for about 4 hours at 300 degrees at the lid, about 265 at the top grate. I pulled them at about 140 degrees internal temp. That's too low if cooking from raw, but because its precooked it was OK. I rested it for 25 minutes, final temp was 143.

Turned out terrific, and I got good reviews from all concerned. Smokiness was right level, and better flavour than what you'd get from oven cooking. Cook time was a better fit to busy holiday schedule.

Had lots left over to test out the new Foodsaver, that I got for Christmas
icon_cool.gif

I exactly do the same thing with the pre-cooked spiral sliced hams then cover it with a mock honey glaze during the last 30 minutes (I think that converts to 52 minutes Canadian) until the glaze is set. I think I got the recipe from the Top Secret Recipes site a few years back.

That ham always turns out so good I actually look forward to having several days of leftovers from it.

Ken

PS - I see you're quoting Red Green in your sig line. I went to Toronto about five years ago for a taping of the show and got to meet Steve and Graham Greene and the rest of the cast. Had a great time there.

Red Green - A Cdn Classic. I attended a filming as well. I didn't meet the cast afterwards, but it was fun. Its their final season this year. Duck Tape Syndication forever.

Back