ABT'S

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Martin:
I did some at 550 on the kettle for thirty minutes....indirect they were awesome..bacon was crispy too!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I make them low and slow (2-3 hours) they come out with an awesome smokey taste. I am concerned that at high heat for a shorter period of time they will not get that great smokey flavor. Can you speak to this?

Steve do you do them on the WSM? I did mine on my genesis, indirect low about 20-25 minutes/per side. I count on the pulled pork and bacon for the smokiness and mine came out with the peppers soft and mild and the bacon crispy but not brittle. I froze a couple of 8oz portions of pork for future use. I ate a dozen yesterday.

I just finished these to experiment. (giving to people at work tomorrow)

Going to make for Memorial Day.

I did indirect on my performer, using lump, held at about 300 for about 1.5 - 2 hours. Used one small apple chunk.

Just the right amount of smokiness....

I put them over direct heat for about 1 minute-ish to crisp up the bacon...

Thinking of doing light glaze at the very end..
2010-05-20%2021.11.52.jpg

David, can I work where you work tomorrow??!!
I'd eet those up in <STRIKE>17 seconds</STRIKE> no, 14 seconds FLAT!
icon_biggrin.gif

dose look gooooood!

Careful now. ABT are gateway appetizers. Next thing you know you will be making (and eating) MOINK balls, Piggles, Shigens, and full blown fatties.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Originally posted by chris comer:
Thinking of doing some ABT'S for the first time with ribs tomorrow. Should I do these on the grill or find room to toss them in the smoker. Do they go directly on the grates, I saw a picture where someone had them in pans. Larry Wolfe I think you stated in a post earlier this week that you were able to load a half dozen racks of spares on the WSM. How are you doing that, I have to cut my spares in half and get 2 racks per grate using a rib rack along with trimmings(St Louis style)? Thanks.....Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris here are pic's with 4 racks full racks of St.Louis trimmed spares, cut in half. You can get 6 on by laying 1 other split rack ontop of of the racks in the rib racks and the other rack angled on the corners of the racks in the rib rack. The only downfall is you will need to rotate the ribs one time through the cook for even cooking. Other than that, typical rib cook.

ribs.jpg

So you get all racks on top grate? Whats on the lower grate i see, the trimmings?
Those look awsome!

ABT's are the best. Those look so good. I have never done the pulled pork in the middle.

I do like to add a little bit of habanero sauce to honey, and brush them at the end. The Honey with the bacon and jalepeno is amazing.

Next time, I am adding pulled pork... If unavailable, crumbled Fattie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernie D:
ABT's are the best. Those look so good. I have never done the pulled pork in the middle.

I do like to add a little bit of habanero sauce to honey, and brush them at the end. The Honey with the bacon and jalepeno is amazing.

Next time, I am adding pulled pork... If unavailable, crumbled Fattie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Habanero sauce & honey sounds like a good idea. How do you make your sauce?

Any good habanero sauce will work fine. Melinda's, El Yukateco, Iguana, Ring of Fire

garlic habanero, or even a good chipotle sauce works nice. I have made a great sauce with Honey and Tobasco Chipotle.

Here is my ideal honey glaze:

1/4 cup Acacia Honey
1 tablespoon Ring of Fire Original Hot Sauce (more or less to taste)

Ring of Fire is hard to find, but it is the best sauce I have ever had. It can be ordered online here: Ring of Fire

I stuck my abts right beside my ribs. worked for me
icon_smile.gif

DSC04305.jpg

just make sure you dont let the wife pick up the bacon... this bacon was the cheap stuff at walmart.

ABT tip I picked up (probably from someone on the forum) - melon-ballers make quick work of cleaning out peppers. I have one that has a different size on each end - good for various sizes of peppers. If you prep a lot of ABT's one of these will speed up that work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Verba:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernie D:

Next time, I am adding pulled pork... If unavailable, crumbled Fattie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Habanero sauce & honey sounds like a good idea. How do you make your sauce? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I brushed larry wolfe's orange marmalade sriracha wing sauce on these after they were done. Freaking fantastic.

Just had the first batch of ABT's on a mini WSM. Hungarian yellow banana peppers, smoked sausage, cream cheese and spices, all wrapped in bacon. Mixed raspberry jam and sweet baby rays for the glaze after the bacon wraps started to crisp up. Wow! Then we had to eat the rubbed chicken pieces we smoked 4 1/2 hours with the water dish in the mini. I love this little thing.

I made some this weekend and they were a complete mess. I just put pepper-jack cheese in them and then wrapped them in bacon. All the cheese simply melted out and I don't think I cooked them at high enough temp. I was left with chewy bacon and a jalapeno.

Back