ABTs - How do you do them?

I spoke with a friend about the Superbowl. I told him I wanted to bring some ABTs. He said he'd make some too. Guess it's gonna be a popper shootout.

I'm thinking about assembling my ABTs today and keeping them refrigerated until tomorrow. Any problems with doing this? Food safety or otherwise.

My ingredients will be a blend of cheeses and maybe some pulled pork and a bacon wrap of the jalapeno.

I'm thinking about assembling my ABTs today and keeping them refrigerated until tomorrow. Any problems with doing this? Food safety or otherwise.

My ingredients will be a blend of cheeses and maybe some pulled pork and a bacon wrap of the jalapeno.
No, you should be just fine. I have been trying to decide whether or not I’m going to do anything for SB, I think I will have some early Valentine’s Day celebration with my loving wife. Out for dinner, might give her one of her presents early, the second she will open with her breakfast on Monday before I go to the dentist.

Well I made up 12 today and I just cut the stem end off, wanted to put cheddar and cream cheese in them. Before I opened the new bag of shredded I remembered how hard it was to get the filling in. Brain flash, just bought a 24 pack of cheddar/jack cheese sticks, I cut into 3rds put 1/2 block of room temp cream cheese in a sandwich bag and cut the end off, piped some into each of them ,some didnt get very much as the peppers were a little smaller but whatever. Wrapped some hot breakfast sausage around them and wrapped with bacon. will report back latter on they turned out and were eaten . Would have liked to smoke but grilling it is , got 12 thick pork chops and chicken also, 2 performers and the jumbo joe will get a work out

I'll eat them however they're made but my favorite is just tomato sauce, seasoning and cheese.

Attachments

• 1646028757068.png
    1646028757068.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 2
I'll eat them however they're made but my favorite is just tomato sauce, seasoning and cheese.

I bought a rack with the holes to hold them vertical, but when I wrapped with thick bacon, the holes were too small, so I just split my peppers down the middle from the tip to about 1/4" from the stem, carefully dug out the placenta and seeds, then hand rolled a ball of my cheese mixture to about the shape of the inside of the pepper and placed it inside, close it up and wrapped with bacon, skewered with a toothpick to keep closed.

I use my Vortex and grill them at high temps. However, sometimes when we are entertaining, I run out of space when using the Vortex on the Performer, so I use my doggie bowl Vortex on my Jumbo Joe. It works well, too and gives me considerably more space on the Vortex/Performer.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53 :wsm:

I grilled some Sunday, cut the stem off , cut some sharp cheddar and mozzarella sticks into 1/3rds . put 1 piece in and capped off with cream cheese. wrapped as best I could with hot breakfast bacon, resisted the urge to add rub . Other than bacon slipping on a few they were really good. some of the best I have made, most of the time cut in half add stuff and grill, have the rack but cant wrap bacon and fit properly .

No cut pictures and the cheese stick worked great, its always been a strugle to get the filling mix down into whole peppers, put a block of warm cream cheese into a zipped sandwich bag cut the end off and pipped it in the end after the cheese stick . I also wrapped hot breakfast sausage around them before the bacon, didnt tooth pick them but should have, son was a little heavy handed turning them

Attachments

• F83AFF62-F45A-430C-A781-1959A8029FEE.jpeg
    F83AFF62-F45A-430C-A781-1959A8029FEE.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 10

Back