ABT w/no bacon wrap?

Does anyone make ABT's with no bacon wrap? Maybe chorizo, ppork, or some other meat mixed with the cheese on the inside?
Looking at making A LOT of these, and really dont want to deal with the prep and cook of the bacon wrap.

An ABT with no bacon is not an ABT IMHO. Whats a whirl around the chile with a slice of bacon???? It adds so much flavor if you get it nice and crispy.

Maybe I did it wrong
icon_confused.gif
but i used raw bacon when I made them, (only once) but found that the bacon was cooked when I took them off a few hours later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave K:
Maybe I did it wrong
icon_confused.gif
but i used raw bacon when I made them, (only once) but found that the bacon was cooked when I took them off a few hours later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea...it crisps as you cook it....

I like to do high heat indirect ABT's on the kettle....

I don't use an entire slice of bacon (as much as I love it!)
I use only a piece as long as the jalap, stuck on top.
It always crisps, unlike the entire slice.

I make mine like little boats with a strip of bacon laying flat.
Try adding a little honey and rub to the cream cheese.

At Christmas we made some and added a little shredded sharp cheddar to the cream cheese. I also had a little sweet Italian sausage left in the fridge ( it had been cooked) and added it to some of the ABTs.
I use a 1/2 strip of bacon that I spiral wrap around the pepper.
Mike

Ended up trying a few different peppers and delivery methods.

DSC05057.JPG

The filling is cream cheese, chorizo, cheddar and rub. Did them on the kettle @ 350*.
Most of them are jalepeno boats with a small bacon laying on top. Cored out the seeds and stuffing, then wrapping one of the jaleps. Made 2 Habenero boats and one stuffed Anaheim wrapped.

The jalep boats were the best. The bacon stayed on ok and tasted real good.
A lot of the filling fell out of the stuffed peppers.
The Anaheim was ok, but not enough heat for me. The Habeneros were spectacular. 10/10 on my heat index. Tasted great and fiery! Sent me running for milk.

I read somewhere on here that someone ate 20 ABT's at a football game. Pretty sure i would be kneeling at the throne!
I really enjoyed these. Thanks for the advise, guys.

Back