A waste of time?

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I've been posting a lot of recipes here to make your own rubs, BBQ sauces, etc. Then I read your posts about your cooks and it's bottled this, bottled that. I would love to hear your opinion on the subject. Should I stop posting recipes or not. It's truth time folks, I can handle it, (I think lol)

No need to stop, you provide some inspiration by posting recipes!
I did a three grill feast yesterday for a combined “Smoke Day” and celebration of John Wayne’s 111th birthday!
I am a “use what I have” kind of guy. So far almost all the commercially marketed rubs from the “big boys” I’ve found to be a very narrow scope of flavor, salt and heat, no depth of flavor at all. Seeing things from another’s perspective is a good thng!

Timothy, what I nice thing to say, thank you!!

DH and I just got through searching Netflix. Could not find a single John Wayne movie, but we did find a good recipe for tonights dinner in the John Wayne cookbook I have. I will be posting it on the chicken thread in case you might be interested.

Definitely keep posting them. I make my own rub, but haven't gotten quite brave enough to take the leap on sauces. But, I definitely love seeing the recipes and the pictures from everyone and the more I see, the more I venture into more and more things.

Mike, thank you!!

I'm so happy to hear that you like to make your own rubs. That is one of my great pleasures in life. I find it fascinating all the different combinations there are. I like to both wing it and follow recipes. I hope you will try making sauces soon (maybe some of my recipes? lol)

Mike, thank you!!

I'm so happy to hear that you like to make your own rubs. That is one of my great pleasures in life. I find it fascinating all the different combinations there are. I like to both wing it and follow recipes. I hope you will try making sauces soon (maybe some of my recipes? lol)

I have hypertension and my wife is sensitive to sugar, especially processed sugar. So, I like that I can control salt and sugar content when I make my own rub and make sure it has no sugar or msg. My wife loves buffalo chicken salads and we've landed on Frank's Red Hot Wings as our go-to sauce, but someday I'd like to make my own that is as good but without butter. Seems to be a trick to that and I haven't figure it out yet.

I also make my own rubs, but since we don't use a lot of sauce I like to pick up a bottle or 2 of local/regional sauces when I'm traveling somewhere. But if I was to try my hand at sauce I think I'd try to replicate Arthur Bryant's first.

I've been posting a lot of recipes here to make your own rubs, BBQ sauces, etc. Then I read your posts about your cooks and it's bottled this, bottled that. I would love to hear your opinion on the subject. Should I stop posting recipes or not. It's truth time folks, I can handle it, (I think lol)

No , it's not a waste of time. More of just using what's handy and avoiding unnecessary trips to the grocer.
I don't know how many times I subbed this for that or just eliminated an ingredient in the last few months simply because I didn't want to go out and shop. :(

Tim

Keep going. I used your Eastern NC sauce recipe and everyone liked it. They’re good friends and would tell me if they didn’t like it.

Thanks Jeff, I haven't made yours yet, but I promise we will. We both love apple juice.

Joan, precious few are available for streaming! Just take the plunge and buy them, not just the westerns, there are a lot of other movies in his filmography to search.

Keep on posting your recipes.

If it involves making my own sauce, or own rub, I will try it.

That's how I found the rub combination I like for whole poultry. It's a combination of Adam's Seasoned Salt (which I make); Adam's Seasoned Pepper; Rosemary; and Thyme.

If you have a non whole poultry rub, I might try it.

Back