A thing for redheads - ID and restoration

Hey guys this thread has me a bit confused....who is the owner of the gorgeous black grill with the dark stained wood???? I would love to know what kind of wood was used and what type of stain and stain color.......I love that rich look!

Hey guys this thread has me a bit confused....who is the owner of the gorgeous black grill with the dark stained wood???? I would love to know what kind of wood was used and what type of stain and stain color.......I love that rich look!
@Steve Hoch give me a sec and I'll find his resto thread..

Yes Jim, that was mine. I used mahogany for the slats and handle. I finished it with old masters American walnut ( I think) gel stain. I protected the wood with spar urethane. Edit: It was old masters red mahogany gel stain.

Last edited:
Yes Jim, that was mine. I used mahogany for the slats and handle. I finished it with old masters American walnut ( I think) gel stain. I protected the wood with spar urethane. Edit: It was old masters red mahogany gel stain.
Do you use the grill, Steve? Are you able to maintain it in that condition while allowing it to be the work horse that it is?

Do you use the grill, Steve? Are you able to maintain it in that condition while allowing it to be the work horse that it is?
When I was all done with that grill I tucked it into a corner of my garage. I haven't cooked on it once. I obtained a nearly identical grill to cook on while restoring the other one. It has become my everyday grill. This is a picture of the grill I use:20210723_140335.jpg

When I was all done with that grill I tucked it into a corner of my garage. I haven't cooked on it once. I obtained a nearly identical grill to cook on while restoring the other one. It has become my everyday grill. This is a picture of the grill I use:View attachment 44336
That's exactly why I can't see creating wood slats on mine. Would be gorgeous but I'd have to either keep it covered and unused, or start a museum, or mess it up.

Back