A rookie rib question

James Tucker

TVWBB Fan
My local grocer had a sale on side ribs today. I realize they aren't as desirable as back ribs but wanted to try them out on the WSM anyways. The package said they were "seasoned" so I asked the butcher what type of "seasoning" they had. He said "they are soaked in a salt and phospharis/phosphate(spelling) water solution to make them more tender". I wanted to try out the BRITU method, but here is my question: do you think this "seasoning" from the butcher will make this way to salty, or could I maybe soak them in water for a while to try and leach out the butcher's "seasoning"?? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Cookin In Canada

Some people complain that the BRITU is too salty for them anyway. If it were me, I'd just omit the salt from the recipe and smoke 'em. If they need more salt, just add it at the table.

Thanx Rob that's kinda what I figured I should do. Have you heard of this "seasoning process" from the butcher before? Is it common for ribs to be packaged like this?

That is not a seasoning process, does not help tenderness, it is about being able to keep product on the shelve longer and being able to sale salt water at rib prices.
If you shop around you can find pork that isn't solution added.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is it common for ribs to be packaged like this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Unfortunately it is becoming more common with many pork cuts, not just ribs. Ask your grocer for 'unseasoned' cuts. If he says he can't get them let him know you'll be looking elsewhere.

sadly, the only place I've found in my area that DOESN'T sell seasoned ribs is Sam's Club. I know the butcher at my local SC personally, and he has verified to me that their ribs are clean.

There is a local butcher in my area, but his prices are about twice what Sam's Club is. His sausage is good, but I cannot tell a difference in his other products from what is carried at Sam's.

I buy my butts and chickens from Save-Rite (old Winn Dixie), and my ribs from Sam's Club.

Now, if I'm wanting to cook a slab for home, then I'll just buy a single pack of "seasoned" ribs - and know ahead of time what I am getting.

But for competition, I always get ribs from Sam's Club (plus, they are already in the three pack that I cook, anyway).

Back