A Real Winter Cook Today

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
It's 19, 20 mph wind and mod snow. I just put on a brined turkey for an afternoon smoke w/ Apple and Maple. My neighbors looked at me like I was crazy, but for real BBQ/smokers weather is just a reason to adjust the recipe. I doubt there will be any complaints at dinner. Anyone else cooking in inclimate weather today?

Yesterday I did London Broil, and am doing some turkey breasts and legs today. Sunny and cold, and the snow has stopped.

Not smoking, but I grilled up some nice ribeye steaks about an hour ago while the snow came down. It's in the high 20's here in Michigan, but we had an urge for steak so we satisfied it.
icon_biggrin.gif

You guys have me beat. I have some ribs on and it's a relatively warm 40 with a couple snow flakes coming down. They ribs smell great though!

OK, update-down to 16, ~5-10 MPH wind, light snow, turkey doing great. I am going to give it a little more time and maybe finish it in the oven. Nice to hear there are other crazies like me.

Did an overnight cook last night of a full brisket and two butts. Same deal...my neighbor drove by about 11:30pm and saw me on my porch in the wind and snow. I'm pretty sure he think's I'm nuts. I had a ball, and the cook turned out great. I did have to break out my wind blocker. "Having some good eats today!"
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I just did 2 Chickens this afternoon. Had a nice little batch of snow come through for 15 minutes or so. Did them around 270 with cherry. Makes for some great smoked chicken salad.

Did an overnight butt on Saturday night. I put it on about 11PM and took it off around 1 PM on Sunday. Temps here were in the high 20's overnight. Had to refuel in the AM as I didn't load it up enough. It took quite a while for the butt to come up to 190 degrees. The last 3-4 hours it stayed at 170-180 degrees. I foiled it and wrapped it in some towel and placed in a cooler. It stayed warm in time for an early dinner at 4:30. My wife said it was the best one ever. It shredded up beuatifully with two forks.

Back