A question of sea level, humidity, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Trammell

TVWBB Fan
A question for the professionals out there.....

In many of the posts, I see various cooking times and temps mentioned. For example, Stogie and some others discuss cooking ribs up to 7-8 hrs. at similar temperatures as I use. If I cooked ribs for 7 hours, they would be as appetizing as a two by four. It seems on other items I have shorter cook times as well. The point of all this, and what I would like some feedback on, is the following: Do you think humidity, sea level, area of the country, etc. have a significant impact on cooking times? For those who compete across the Country, do you notice any appreciate difference at the Jack, and northwestern events, for example. Of course the wind is a variable, but in this case, it has not been significant.

I have wondered about this for some time, and am curious if others have similar experiences.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pat..

Interesting topic! I too have wondered the same thing. Now, I can tell you that I cook all around the Midwest and I have cooked a few events in GA and TN. All the same timing. But, mountains and oceans may make a difference!

Keep in mind, the WEIGHT of the slab is the bigger variable. When I talk 7-8 hrs, I'm talking about bronto spares...3-4 lbs. My loin backs are 2 1/4lb. I think these weights are why I take longer than others. My method also doesn't call for heating the WSM first, I put everything on immediately upon firing the charcoal....this alone can add 1 hr. to the cook.

Good point, Stogie. The weight certainly does make a difference. I have also heard a lot of debate recently about burn times. It is humid as it gets here, particularly in the summer, and I wonder if that has any effect on the burn times of charcoal one way of the other?

I think the only real effect humidity has is upon stored charcoal. I try to keep mine in an air-conditioned space. You think you got humidity in North AL? Come down here in August. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Elevation can have an effect on charcoal burn. Thinner air in high elevations lessens the oxygen available to the controlled burn of a BBQ pit/smoker. Some Colorado mountain-based forum users report the necessity of using lump charoal just to achieve normal BBQ cooking temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back