a mild rub

DW Frommer II

TVWBB Fan
I get heartburn sometimes from highly spice rubs...

I am looking for a recipe for a rub that will work with pork (shoulder or butt) and maybe beef chucks that will bring out the flavours but not add all that much spice. I want unctuous as opposed to piquant.
icon_smile.gif

Can anyone help?

DW,cut out some or even all of the cayenne. My wife and I tried on of Steven Raichlen's rubs and it was insanely hot. Had to cut WAY back on the cayenne on that one. Of course,I put it back in for my infernolicious butt this morning!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
HTH

The same thing ALWAYS happened to me. So I would always take a Pepcid AC before eating.......however as I get older that stopped working and now I have a prescription that shuts down the acid pumps you your stomach and I can eat anything I want and I'm loving life!!

Well, it's kind of strange talking about health problems on a BBQ forum...it's like we're a bunch of old harts sitting around nattering on and on because we've nothing else to talk about.
icon_smile.gif
The fact that I am an old cob (63) hasn't sunk in yet.
icon_cool.gif

But I've been on Prilosec for ten years or so--I have an hiatal hernia. I don't get heartburn much...I can drink single malt with no ill effects, except the usual punishment for those who guzzle what should be respectfully sipped). But I do have to be careful...it will break through on occasion.

Anyway...to bring the thread back on track...that's why I'm interested in a mild rub recipe.

The only spicy things in most rubs are chilies and pepper. Take any recipe you see and switch the chilies (cayenne, NM chile, guajillo, etc.) to somesthing mild like ancho; reduce or eliminate the pepper.

'Unctuous' is greasy. Nah, you don't want that.

DW, KK is right . if you reduce the or eliminate the pepper along with changing the type of chili powder you're using you can make any rub as mild as you want. However, you may want to add some other ingredients to pick up the taste some such as cardamom(?),allspice,coriander,cinnamon,cumin,etc.,etc., etc.You can be as creative as you'd like.

I use Raichlen's Basic BBQ rub except I cut way back on the black pepper, to maybe 2 tsp, then instead of cayenne I use regular old McCormick's chili powder. It makes a nicely flavored rub without any real heat at all.

Back