A Man, A Plan, An Onion!

That video is awesome! And it’s a pretty great idea. It will be hilarious if Roy gets into doing that as a routine!

LOL. I never thought of using it on a chicken. Actually, what I envision is the whole thing turning into a Flambe as the juices ignite.

You using it on a chicken was the first thing I thought of! That could be the ultimate roto crisp technique. Even those more roasted looking birds I’ve been producing are only crispy about half the time although temps at or above 450 seem to make a big difference.

See, the problem with roto cooking is that those juices seep out to the surface and as the roto turns it is continuously basting the skin which keeps it moist. There is a fine line between keeping it hot enough to burn up/dry up those juices and going incinerating the bird. I think maybe a last minute quick "Sear" might just do the trick. I may have to try that at some point.

Haha, I must have the "plumber" type of torches, because you have yourself an awesome flame thrower!

Kind of like pressure washers, you have the nice full spray, and my torches would just burn pencil lines in the birds. That's why I think that blowtorch thing you have would be perfect to crisp up a rotisserie chicken right at the end. I mean, the meat is already spinning, you could just turn off the grill leave the motor on and torch that baby good!

I've found a way to cook my regular chicken that everyone loves. Get a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, dump it in the blender with 1/2 part olive oil (and 1 Tbs of your favorite rub, if you are fancy) and blend up smooth. Marinate the chicken in that and pull them straight from the marinade onto the hot grill. You'll get a nice bit of char on the edges and the flavor is amazing. Cube it up after and you'll think you got the chicken from Qdoba, and that's a good thing because when they do it correctly it's very good.

Haha, I must have the "plumber" type of torches, because you have yourself an awesome flame thrower!

Kind of like pressure washers, you have the nice full spray, and my torches would just burn pencil lines in the birds. That's why I think that blowtorch thing you have would be perfect to crisp up a rotisserie chicken right at the end. I mean, the meat is already spinning, you could just turn off the grill leave the motor on and torch that baby good!
It is a blow torch.

It is a blow torch.

Well obviously I NEED one! Ha ha! You know, one of the best pieces of recent news I've read is that they are opening a Harbor Freight like two miles from me soon! I will put the blow torch on the list for the new HF.

When that place opens it's going to have a big impact on my life. Right now, I have to drive almost 20 minutes to get to one!

Well obviously I NEED one! Ha ha! You know, one of the best pieces of recent news I've read is that they are opening a Harbor Freight like two miles from me soon! I will put the blow torch on the list for the new HF.

When that place opens it's going to have a big impact on my life. Right now, I have to drive almost 20 minutes to get to one!
I used to use one of those to light the charcoal in my BGE. They work great for their intended purpose (burning weeds), too. I didn't look, but they used to sell two models, one with a piezo lighter and one without. The piezo is worth having, I think.

Last edited:

It is an hour drive for me.

I used to use one of those to light the charcoal in my BGE. They work great for their intended purpose (burning weeds), too. I didn't look, but they used to sell two models, one with a piezo lighter and one without. The piezo is worth having, I think.
Yah, I have the one without the piezo lighter. I kind of wish I spent the few extra bucks for the one that has it.
And, yes, I have burned off weeds and grass with one. Soooo much easier than bending over and more healthy and environmentally friendly than Round Up or Weed B Gone.

Yah, I have the one without the piezo lighter. I kind of wish I spent the few extra bucks for the one that has it.
And, yes, I have burned off weeds and grass with one. Soooo much easier than bending over and more healthy and environmentally friendly than Round Up or Weed B Gone.
I just watched the video...dang, Bruce! A caution I would throw out there, for those who don't like the taste of burnt black pepper...you might want to do this on protein that hasn't been seasoned or with Hey Grill Hey rub on it.

Last edited:
They are great for starting all kinds of fires. I have a nice 30" 304 SS fire ring in the back yard for camp fires. I can play around with matches and wadded up paper to get it started and then wait another 15 minutes for it to get going. Or, I can hit it with the torch for 30 seconds to a minute and have nice roaring fire going. If you ever burn brush piles, they get them going quick too. A quick sear on those steaks is great too.
But, probably the main use for these things is to kill weeds. They do an amazing and efficient job and you never have to bend over.

They are great for starting all kinds of fires. I have a nice 30" 304 SS fire ring in the back yard for camp fires. I can play around with matches and wadded up paper to get it started and then wait another 15 minutes for it to get going. Or, I can hit it with the torch for 30 seconds to a minute and have nice roaring fire going. If you ever burn brush piles, they get them going quick too. A quick sear on those steaks is great too.
But, probably the main use for these things is to kill weeds. They do an amazing and efficient job and you never have to bend over.
If it was safe to use indoors, starting a fire in a wood stove too. But no way I'd use this thing indoors.

Would be great for weeds in my yard if they weren't coming through wood chips. Funny to think about what would happen. If I didn't set my house on fire.

Back