A Little Help

Paul Balzotti

TVWBB Fan
I have four butts on two on the bottom two on top. No water in the pan or clay saucer. I have my DigiQ set for 228 and its holding steady on the top rack at that temp. But my Maverick on the bottom rack is saying over 300. This so doesn't make sense. My meat temp so far on the botton is 94 and the meat on the top is 135.....questioning that too.

with no heat sink, the bottom grate might be the same or higher in temp than the top, but i wouldn't think it's that much. i bet your maverick probe is into the gap around the bowl where all the heat goes.

I did place it pretty close to the edge. That has to be it.

any idea why the butts on the top rack are at 141 right now. Only been in there for almost an hour. Should I worry that these are going to be done way to early for 2:00 PM tomorrow. I was planning on a 16 hour cook have them done around noon then foil for an hour then pull.

i would think you have the probe misplaced. i once had one that i stuck to far in and was actually almost poking out the other side. my 2 butts have been on for 3.5 hours(top grate) and my maverick probe is reading 129 right now.

Opening the lid will drop the grill temp down about 10 or 15 degrees - but it will recover.

If the probes are giving you inconsistent results - definitely test them. Calibrated probes are extremely important.

The second thing would be probe placement. Don't put it next to the bone, and don't poke it out the other side.

It's a pricey option - but having a thermapen can be very handy to double check any other probe - because it's guaranteed to be accurate and it gets a reading incredibly fast (less than 3 seconds for most readings).

Well its 6:30 AM eastern time and the butts are at 180 so I am guessing they were right. they are boneless and not more than 4 LB. I just gave the coals a stir and added another apple log. DigiQ did a great job last time I did an overnight without the DigiQ I had no fuel left. This time with the DigiQ I have plenty. What a great device!!!!

Back