A little disappointed in WSM

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just received my WSM today. I put it together and I was surprised how wobbly the middle section fit to the base. Is it supposed to be able to move side to side at all? Also, the top grate only rests on 2 of the edges of the top grill straps. Maybe if you put 25 lbs of meat on it would it hit all 4 edges of the straps. Is this common?

Steven

Go to the Product Info section of the VWB and click on "Parts Troubleshooting" for some helpful information. My grates also were a bit warped, and apparently this is not unusual. If you rotate the grate around, you'll probably find that the grate is warped, as opposed to the supports not being in line. You can bend the grate so that it is flat enough to sit on all 4 supports. I had to do this to both of my grates, and while they are pretty solid, it can be done with some patience. Once you get them flat, they'll probably stay that way.

I bought mine already assembled and it fits together tightly. No wobble or movement between the middle section and the bottom. You might want to give weber a call. I am sure they will take care of any problems. My top cooking grate is a little tweaked, but I just rotate it till it fits flat on the supports. Not a problem. I suppose I could spend a few minutes and get a perfect fit.

Mine wobbles a little bit depending on how I have it on. If I twist the middle sections it will get to a spot where it fits snug. I also have to do the same with my grates. But it's not a big deal to me. That's nothing compared to the results I get out of the WSM.

Follow the instructions in the Parts Troubleshooting article to determine whether you've got a charcoal bowl or middle section that's out of round. It's usually the bowl. Weber should send a replacement part for free if you tell them it wobbles when assembled.

Regards,
Chris

Mine was the same way. I had Weber send me a new bottom section...And it was still wobbly. I just figured that's how they fit. After a couple layers of carbon and grease build up inside, and especially when loaded, it didn't move enough to bother me. I just bought a second one, however, and all three sections fit together perfectly. So I now know the original's middle section is bad. I'm thinking about calling Weber and seeing what they'll do. I suggest you do the same.

I just got mine a few weeks ago. The mid section fits tightly into the bowl with no wobble. The grates are flush all the way around. I agree, from what you describe it almost sounds as though the mid section is a bit off or out of round.

k

Well, I pulled up the parts trouble shooting articel. I measured the middle section and the base as the articel suggested. I found it was the base that was out of round. So I bent while it was on the carpet. It worked !!! The middle section fits perfectly. It took awhile to get it just right. As far as the grate goes...it was warped like everyone suggested...so I just bent it now it fits perfectly as well. Thanks for all the help. I am going to smoke some pork butts this weekend..I can't wait.

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back