A how "not to" video I stumbled across.

OMG. That video needs to be flagged and removed.
I agree- that video should be taken down.
So he broke the gas connections that had been sealed for 18 years and re-used the same sealing washers? It's not even clear if there was a sealing washer under the bolt on the middle valve. I've never removed the valves from the manifold, but it looks like those are some type of fiber washer that's probably not going to seal all that well second time around (although the LP pressures are pretty low).

I agree- that video should be taken down.
So he broke the gas connections that had been sealed for 18 years and re-used the same sealing washers? It's not even clear if there was a sealing washer under the bolt on the middle valve. I've never removed the valves from the manifold, but it looks like those are some type of fiber washer that's probably not going to seal all that well second time around (although the LP pressures are pretty low).
It is a NG grill, I think, but same principle.

This is about the same as a guy removing the valve covers on a vehicle in order to change the oil.

The world would be better off right now if he had simply wound up twisting off those left side burner mounting bolts instead of "luckily" getting them out. That would have likely ended his video which would be the best thing that could have happened.

You know, I really feel lucky and blessed to have found this site before I ever attempted to do anything to my old Genny,
You have all been so helpful and not made me feel a complete idiot so many times! You have kept me from making deeply regrettable mistakes from the first time I visited the site.
I can’t open the link and, am just as happy that I can’t!
Yep, if it’s bad, Larry will be fit to be tied!
Gotta appreciate his commitment!
Have a great weekend!

The world would be better off right now if he had simply wound up twisting off those left side burner mounting bolts instead of "luckily" getting them out. That would have likely ended his video which would be the best thing that could have happened.
The worst part is that the video has 47,000 views and a lot of comments thanking him for them being able to change theirs out now.

Yep, I get the same thing with mixers. Then I receive a box and pile of parts (that's if non are lost :D) Anyway it happens a lot. Or I get a machine that will not turn on. Only because one of the carbon brushes are upside down

Yep, I get the same thing with mixers. Then I receive a box and pile of parts (that's if non are lost :D) Anyway it happens a lot. Or I get a machine that will not turn on. Only because one of the carbon brushes are upside down
I get it with mixers, they are slightly complicated machines. I even think I could fix one with the right YouTube video. Hell, I got a 100 year old mantle clock to run again after sifting through many YouTube videos on the subject. Grills shouldn't be that tough, but apparently they are to a lot of people.

One of these days I’m going to have to go through my 33 year old “Kit-Kat” clock and do some rebuilding, eyes and tail don’t swing anymore. That is all simple balance stuff really but, I think the bushings have had as much fun as they can, now it’s time to replace them.

Last edited:

Back