A Great WSM Experience!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Trammell

TVWBB Fan
This past weekend, I was "elected" to provide barbeque for 14 hungry souls deep in the woods of South Alabama. These are my college classmates, and we have a semi-annual weekend trip away from the wives, significant others, bill collectors, etc. In any event, the WSM performed in such an admirable manner that I thought it might be worthwhile to share my experience.

For a Saturday night meal I chose two pork butts averaging 6.5 lbs each and six slabs of baby backs, all purchased at the local Wholesale store (Sam's). The butts were to be prepared using the "Renowned Mr. Brown" recipe, and for the ribs I was going with the BRITU rub with three sauces/rubs.

At 9:15 Friday night, I started a full charge of Kingsford using the Minion Method, and three chunks of hickory. Once I put the lit charcoal on, I opened the vents all the way and loaded the butts. By 10:15 they were up to 225*. At 11:00, I left the WSM cooking along at 235* and the vents 25% open. I awoke at 4:30 am, and checked the WSM, which was cooking away at 241*. I closed the vents by a miniscule amount, and went back to bed. At 8:15 am the temperature was at 229*. A Six Degree Swing in nine hours!!!!!!

At 9:15 am Saturday I mopped the butts, and took them off at 1:45 pm, when the internal temperature reached 195*. They were wrapped in foil and placed in the oven, although it was not on at the time. At 2:00 pm, I loaded all the ribs with the BRITU rub, all rolled with three on the top grate and three on the bottom. Please note that I added no more charcoal! I did however add one more chunk of hickory and two chunks of apple wood for flavor.

The WSM maintained temperature around 230* the entire time! At 4:30 pm I sprayed the ribs with apple juice, and took them off after trying the "twist test" at 6:15 pm. Two slabs were sauced as the traditional BRITU recipe recommends, two were sauced with "Dreamland" Sauce (an Alabama favorite) and three were dusted liberally with Corky's dry rub.

The butts pulled wonderfully, with no, nata, zero, fat on either one. The cooking process had rendered all the fat out!!! The meat was moist and tender, and while there was five different sauces to choose from, most people liked the meat better without the sauce.

The ribs were great as well, particularly the Corky's. The dry rub style is somewhat different, but is an outstanding way to season the BRITU recipe.

All in all, my peers loved the food, and I enjoyed cooking it as much as any I've ever done. Thanks to all who contribute to this board. It is worth all the half done butts and dry ribs, to finally get it right once!

The Bullet is a Great Cooking Machine!!

Great post and an awesome job by you and the Weber! Sounds like a success! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm glad things turned out so well for you and the group. It really is a great fealing knowing that, in this case, your friends really enjoyed your cooking!

Makes a guy wanna go barbeque somethin'! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back