A genesis in the hand or a summit in the bush?

J Lee

So I am getting a grill. I've been grill free for nearly 6 years and want to get something nice this time around (pretty sure I had a char-broil back in the day).

In the local paper a summit 670 was listed for $850, a few years old, used very little, the seller responded to my phone call and was very nice and accommodating of my questions and desire to stop by.

But the second time I called the seller there was no answer and three days later they still haven't called me back. They did email me thinking that I was someone else and said there was a lot of interest, but that's it.

They did say in the first call that they'll call me when they are ready to meet up this weekend, and it seemed like I was the first to call.

On the flip side:

I can get a genesis 330 for $675 otd. My buddy gets 10% off at a store that is selling the 330 for $750 and has no tax. This sale ends Friday at which point the price of the 330 will be $720 otd.

I will be getting a weber Q 120 tomorrow, and that's fine for my family of three, but my profession requires that I host large groups often and I will be needing a bigger grill in time.

So pounce on the new genesis and forgo the three year old summit, or wait on the summit, and pass on the low priced genesis?

See if you can move on that Summit before Friday. You need to check it out. At that price, it better be in damn nice shape (like new).
If you can't see them Summit before Friday, could you buy the Genesis and don't open it and return it if you get the Summit? I usually don't advocate returning things, and you should not use a credit card for this transaction, as the store has to pay fees for the purchase and for the return.

I have a family of 7 and the 310 has been perfect. I like having the warranty which you don't get as the second owner. Good luck and let us know what you get

It's reported as new, the pics I got show some definite buildup on the grill grates and flavorizer bars. Should it really be pristine for $850? Yikes, these things are like $2.5k new.

My buddy has to use his card to get the grill for 10% off, but it's an unbranded store card so there shouldn't be any fees, but a big headache for a return (plus I have to borrow a truck to get it from the store to my house).

Is that right that the warranty is non transferable? Hmm. One more thing to think about and quick.

Warranty goes to the original owner. If they did not register the grill you could register and have the warranty in your name but it would surprise me if they did not.

Might just go with new then. The grill isn't that much bigger, and I doubt the difference in stainless used makes much of a difference (both burner sets are warrantied to 10 years), and although the IR burner for spit cooking is nice, I doubt I'd miss it as I've never used a rotisserie before.

I have the rotisserie accessory for my Genesis and it does a good job even without a dedicated burner. I actuaaly prefer the enameled hood to the stainless for clean up purposes. As far as grates, I like the Porcelain enameled cast iron but when these go out I may invest in some SS grates which are readily available.

I guess I'd ask how comfortable are you at recognizing problem areas on a used grill? Depending on where it was stored and how it was maintained are the things that will determine if it’s worth the risk. You will need to check for rust on the lower chassis pieces especially if it was stored on grass or cement without a pad under it. Check all the burners for even flame distribution and the FBs for rust and corrosion. Make sure the IR burner functions as it should.
Just remember a $2500 grill is going to have very expensive parts if they need to be replaced.
If you’re not comfortable with knowing what to look for go with the new one and a solid warranty from Weber

I have the rotisserie accessory for my Genesis and it does a good job even without a dedicated burner. I actuaaly prefer the enameled hood to the stainless for clean up purposes. As far as grates, I like the Porcelain enameled cast iron but when these go out I may invest in some SS grates which are readily available.

Good to know that the rotisserie upgrade is an option down the road (future fathers days, birthdays and Christmas's are going to be full of grill accessories I think). And I gave thought to doing the same thing down the road when the grates go.

I guess I'd ask how comfortable are you at recognizing problem areas on a used grill? Depending on where it was stored and how it was maintained are the things that will determine if it’s worth the risk. You will need to check for rust on the lower chassis pieces especially if it was stored on grass or cement without a pad under it. Check all the burners for even flame distribution and the FBs for rust and corrosion. Make sure the IR burner functions as it should.
Just remember a $2500 grill is going to have very expensive parts if they need to be replaced.
If you’re not comfortable with knowing what to look for go with the new one and a solid warranty from Weber

It was in a humid environment for a while, and is now on a pool deck, so corrosion is a concern. I know what to look out for when it comes to marine corrosion, but when you add burnt on grease that seems to be on the grates and FB's, well not so much. The Mrs (who is the primary bread winner) isn't a big fan on spending big money on used things.

I guess I'll go new. The size difference isn't all that much anyways.

Thanks.

I've never seen a used 670 go for that much, but then again I've never seen a used one for sale that didn't have cancer in the lower frame area.

I also have the roto for my Genesis EP-330, and it does a good job without the IR burner. I also prefer the enameled hood over the SS version - easier to keep clean. I have the SS grates and really like them.

Now they want 1050, I just can't swing that kind of cash. I believe them when they said their handyman offered them that much, but even 850 was a squeeze and 1050 is way more than I can afford. Would have been nice to have the space, but that's a whole lot of money for a used grill with expensive parts.

Genesis it is, again (can you tell I fell in love with the possibilities of the summit). Can't wait to get'er open in a few weeks when I get a home.

Back