A GATOR SMOKER'S BUTT-CUTTING TECHNIQUE.

Sal DeTraglia

TVWBB Member
Hello:

I was just watching/listening to the latest addition to The BBQ Pilgrim website. It was a piece about a Q'r in Florida who sellS BBQ'd gator ribs at his shack.

But that wasn't was grabbed my attention. It was another statement that this guy made about pulled pork. He said that he cuts the butt into three pieces before smoking it. Why? Better smoke penetration and more surface for the rub.

I'd also assume that the butt(s) would cook a lot more quickly.

Has anyone tried this technique? It struck me as one of those "Duh...why didn't I think of that" moments.

Sal

Sal-Hola!
I lived near Cadiz for a year and really love Spain!!!! If you cut your butt up be sure to watch the temp so it does not dry out.

Sal

The reasons you gave would be pros - more surface area for bark to form, etc. The con would be that, imo, it would cook so quickly the fat would not have an opportunity to properly render and thus produce what we all love so much in pulled pork.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The con would be that, imo, it would cook so quickly the fat would not have an opportunity to properly render </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a good point but someone here uses country ribs to make pulled pork. I don't remember who it is but I remember reading about it in a post on the site somewhere.

I would think maybe lowering the cooking temp would go a long way in slowing the cook. I normally cook at 250 for butts. Say if you cut them up and dropped the temp to 235 that might alleviate it drying out. I don't know just a thought.

Back