A "fowl" Conundrum

Ron Hunter

TVWBB Member
Last Sunday when I took off the 2 pork butts, I put on 4 whole chickens. I didn't butterfly or split them, just washed, seasoned and put two on each rack. Kept the lid temp at 270 - 290, usually on the high side.

Now I've grilled a lot of chicken, I've smoked a lot of chicken on a ECB. I say this to let you know while I'm still a newbie on the WSM, I'm not a novice cook.

The largest bird still flowed red juices when the temp in the thigh was over 170. I let it go that high because I kept seeing the red. I finally took it off at 175. But the little flesh pocket between the thigh and lower part of the breast was still flowing red. The breast in various parts was pushing 170. Obviously the fowl was somewhat dry but not too 'foul'.
icon_biggrin.gif

I smoked it with a LOT of cherry. But I don't believe the juices were dyed cherry.
I was careful that I got that part of the chicken - it was done and tasted fine. The handshake was a little stiff but not bad. I didn't get sick.
But I wonder - what caused the apparent problem? Could it be that I need to at least split the bird? I don't with turkey so I don't think that was the problem. Have any of you ever had anything similar?
BTW - fresh birds, not frozen.

Ron

Did you brine the birds. This is quite common when I brine.
You will notice that after resting for 10 minutes that the red juices will be all but drained, much of it comes from the body cavity. 175 - 180 for the thigh is the correct temperature.

Regards

Ron, In modern processing plants, after plucking and cleaning, the birds are placed into a "cool Down" vat Here a bird may absorb up to 15% or more of the liquid thats in the vat. Needless to say this liquid may be tainted or even contaminated by the residue of the slaughtering process that accumulates in the cool down vats. The birds are then packaged and wrapped immediatly not allowing for any draining time or "dry aging" as processors rush the bird out to improve profits. If the bird is frozen this liquid will remain and that is what you observed in the bird. The bird was probably done, and in fact any nasties in the liquid were probably done too
icon_biggrin.gif
If you don't like this idea look for labels that do not have the additional liquid warning, or better yet buy local and know who (and how) your dinner is being grown and butchered.

Lot of information that I didn't know. Thanks everyone.

This site is the reason I bought the WSM - unfortunely, I haven't spent near enough time in my woodshop since I got it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back