A Fiddly Question about Temps

Mike Hartwell

TVWBB Pro
Since my decades of experience with charcoal cooking has been on the kettle, I've never really paid much attention to the temperatures involved in the cooker.
Ive always just gone by time and internal food temps.
Now, as I watch the temps on the wsm, (I use the 2 probe Redi-Chek) I see that the 'smoker' probe , which is just below the top vent, is showing 230, while the 'food' probe, which is lying on the top cooking grate away from the edge, is showing 340.
Is it usual to show a 100 degree difference be tween the two zones?
Just curious if anybody has looked at this.

Mike, there are many comparisons done between lid temp and grate temp. Most comparisons are between the Weber supplied hood therm and frequently a Maverick prob at the cooking grate level. If memory serves, I don't remember the differences being much more than about 25-50 degrees. Might I suggest either switching probe positions and or testing both in boiling water. If they are the same in water, then I can't imagine such a difference in your smoker.
Do Tell.

Mark

OK, mystery solved.
The 'food' probe tipped shifted over the edge when I put the pan back on the grate and I didn't notice.
"Never mind..."

Why I Never,!!!!! Ha ha. One day I swore that my smoker was going crazy. Temp dropped about 100 degrees for no reason. I thought the dang thing had broke. Nope, the box probe was hugging the meat.

Glad Sherlock figured it out!!!!

Mark

Mystery solved eh?
icon_wink.gif

I've seen crazy readings when water gets inside a probe.

Back