A few recent cooks (warning. PIC HEAVY!)

S Riddell

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey everyone, it seems like time is flying by! I haven't been around much lately, but I have still been cooking. Here are some pics of a few recent cooks.

Starting off with some jerk chicken sandwiches. Chicken breasts were pounded flat and marinated in Walkerswood for a couple hours. I also grilled some pineapple for the sandwiches and some zucchini as a side. I'm not sold on grilled zucchini yet, might have to try it again though. The sandwiches were excellent. The pineapple added a nice sweet note for the spicy jerk.

My wife made a sort of juicy lucy. She stuffed burgers with cream cheese and diced pickled jalapenos. These burgers were really delicious. They were placed on a grilled portobello mushroom cap and served with a salad

Next was some cedar smoked salmon and mushrooms. The salmon was wrapped in some cedar paper wraps that I forgot I had. The mushrooms were cooked with some salt and balsamic vinegar, and all plated with a salad.

Up until this point all my outdoor cooking was done on my gasser. Well I finally decided to fire up my WSM...for my first attempt at beef ribs!

Mixed up a rub...pretty sure its the lonestar rub from the main page (it was a couple weeks ago, my memory gets foggy on weekends lol)...and even foggier a few weeks later. THe pic I had here is the rub for the turkeys down below. I used the lonestar rub from the main page and what was left of my espresso rub:confused:
Ribs on...the fire is Dragon Breath lump and oak wood. Empty water pan

Ribs coming along nicely.

To be continued....

Last edited:
Some ABTs were added to the mix...because why not!

Ribs were sauced in this. It was a random choice at the grocery store...I figured PSB is awesome so I'd give it a shot!

Ribs cut up...nice smoke ring

ABTs done

Crockpot potatoes done. My wife found this recipe and wanted me to make them. They were actually quite good.

Sorry, no plated pics of this meal as we took it over to my grandma's house because she was home alone on the farm for the weekend. My brother and his girlfriend showed up for dinner too, and everyone agreed that the ribs were excellent. I am now on the hunt for more beef ribs...they were so good. My mouth is watering as I type this just thinking about how good they were. The Guiness BBQ sauce was also quite good.

I found out my neighbour was going in for surgery, so I wanted to smoke them something so they wouldn't have to worry about cooking when they got home from the hospital. It just so happens that I also said that my wife and I would host Thanksgiving this year, so I needed to do a trial run on a couple turkeys. Called up the local turkey farm and got a couple of birds that were about 12 lbs each and not enhanced. Perfect...into the brine they go. Just a simple brine of salt and brown sugar.

And here is the rub for the birds lol...
Here are the birds rubbed up and waiting for the smoker to come to temp.

The top bird is coming along nicely. They were smoked over Dragon Breath lump and pecan wood.

Top bird finished and resting for a little bit. At this point I moved the bottom bird to the top rack.

Bottom bird done and resting while I carve the first bird.

I carved both birds and vacuum packed one for the neighbours. They told me the other night that it was delicious. They were probably just being nice, but I thought it was too! The skin didn't quite get as crispy as I was hoping, but overall the bird was very moist and had a good smoky flavour.

Thanks for looking and keep up the great posts! I've lurked around some this morning to see what I've missed, but I haven't posted on anything because I don't want to send old posts to the top of the list.

Last edited:
I think it's a safe bet to say that no one goes hungry in the Riddell household. Terrific job all around with all these cooks.

Everything looks great! Im a fan of bullseye aswell...Never seen the the guinnes version though.

Back