a few quick ?'s

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
Is lemon thyme good or not so much.
Ever use a dried anaheim, or big jim chili? is it worth the time drying, smoke/drying, or dehydrating or is it just better for making AWSOME rellonos?
Aji Lemon' (sp?) Does it truly have an unbelievable citris taste somehow or is this another joke. also is it overwhelmingly hot if I dry a small batch of it for chicken or fish, or something for rub? It may die or not do well indoors anyway, but knowledge for next year too, and before I order a few things. dont want to waste it.
Can I have any good ideas (recipie) for a whole paprika fruit (fresh) should I stuff it or something (there not very roomy, but maybe)or is this a worthless thing except for drying?
Im STILL looking for a good method to "crush" seasonings w/ minimal waste or powder, there must be a tool or something I could buy. Special non-everyday fresh herbs and things are cool gifts to give and fun to. Anybody have a good method or something?.. experience? thanks guys.

In reverse:

What do you mean by 'seaasonings'? That's kind of generic. And what are you looking to have when finished in terms of size/texture? You say 'fresh herbs'...are you talking fresh then dried or...?

Stuffed paprika chilies make wonderful tapas. I use goat cheese in some, minced lamb with rice and feta and mint in others - those sorts of things. Roast or steam gently to soften, slit, seed, fill, warn; serve warm or at room temp.

Aji limo, aji limon and aji 'lemon drop' - do you know which you have? The limos ripen green>yellw>red. The flavor is hot, fruity, sweet. The other two names are sometimes used interchangeably. They are not the same though both ripen green>yellow. The limon can have a citrus-y hot flavor. The lemon drop's flavor tends to be more lemon-y. It does fine indoors. I don't find the heat overwhelming with any of these (a 7), but if you're not a fan of heat use less.

I'm not a fan of drying Anaheims or Big Jims as I don't find the flavor worth it. Try drying some and see what you think.

Big fan of lemon thyme. Makes great vinaigrettes and dressings. Use it in tuna salad (especially those made with oil-poached fresh tuna) and on grilled fish or chicken.

knocked that right out thanks. I mean dried herbs, and chilis. specificly chilis, garlic, onion, etc. how do you do that thanks

I use a Sumeet (click Models; I have the top one, the Asia Kitchen). Not cheap, but I use it often for powders and pastes (I make numerous pastes). For 'crushed', I use a smallish amount (just above blade level) and brief pulses. When it's at the desired consistency it's best to pour into a sieve to sieve out the powder (there will always be some). The powder can be used for whatever you wish; the coarser product in the sieve gets used as is, or blended with other coarser items - it all depends what you're shooting for.

Back