A different kind of foiling

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
Lately, I've been experimenting with foiling ribs much later in the process and I really like this change.

My biggest problem with following a 3-2-1 method (even following Stogie's suggestions) is that I hated losing bark and having the "washed out" look. Even during the "firm up" time I never was able to bring back that wonderful bark. Recently, I wait until deep in the cooking process which equates to sometimes 5 hours for spare ribs and then foiling. Sometimes I will let them go for another 30 to 40 min like this which is just enough time to add a flavor profile. The ribs are already pretty tender prior to foiling at this point so that isn't the main reason I do it.

I also spritz my ribs quite a bit to keep moisture during the process. This has been producing some wonderfully tender ribs with excellent bark.

Does anyone else do something similar?

I've been doing the same type of experiment on my brisket. Not quite where I want it to be, but close!
icon_smile.gif

If I foil I always foil late in the process, after the ribs have achieved good color. The ribs finish in the foil; I return them to the grill unfoiled for just 5-10 min for texture.

For ribs I've added about a half hour to my pre-foil cooking time and reduced my foil time by about 15 minutes. Something like, 2.5/45 min/10 min @ 275

*I primarily cook babybacks

For my St. Louis style spare ribs I usually do:

4 hour in the smoke
45 minutes in foil
Then finish out of foil for like 30 minutes. If I want sauce, this is when I put it on.

Back