A couple of restoration projects

JamesDinty

Hey Guys....new member here so let me introduce myself. I have (3) Webers that I picked up on trash days throughout the years. I have a Genesis Silver A, Genesis LX1000 and just a couple of weeks ago picked up a Genesis EP-310. Here they are............

IMG-3705.jpg

IMG-3714.jpg

I've been using the Black and Red tops and they work just fine, but will need to restore the frame on the red top soon as it's the crossbar that supports the firebox is completely rusted off. But more on the later...............

The new (to me) Copper 310 actually looks pretty good from the outside and I cooked some burgers on it the other day but the frame needs some major work. The left frame assembly and the floor panel is in rough shape. In fact I had to completely remove the floor panel as it was beyond repair. Not sure I want to spend $140 on a new floor but that's about what they go for. Here are a couple of pics of the trouble areas.......

IMG-3706.jpg

IMG-3707.jpg

As you can see, I just temporarily wedged in a metal bar across the bottom so the magnets on the doors would catch on to something. But really that left side assembly needs immediate work. The part is available new but costs about $340. The only support leg that needs work is the back left (pictured). I think I can sand/paint out that rust as it's pretty solid.

Do you guys think the left/floor can be restored? I am thinking a wood floor but not sure what to do with that left side. Like I said, the leg supports are pretty solid but the panel where any wood floor would sit on is pretty much trashed on the inside. The right panel is nearly perfect........
IMG-3712.jpg

So.......I'd appreciate any thoughts the experts may have on this restoration. Other than the frame, the grill works beautifully (doesn't need burners or even FBs yet).

Welcome to the forum!

Personally, I don't completely understanding spending $140 or $340 on a part for a grill from the trash. I would put it back out there on the curb before spending that kind of money.

Are these for your personal use? Resale? Family and friends?

Many here have noted they replaced the bottoms with fabricated wood. Or used the "Trex" style stuff for decks.

Welcome to the forum!

Personally, I don't completely understanding spending $140 or $340 on a part for a grill from the trash. I would put it back out there on the curb before spending that kind of money.

Are these for your personal use? Resale? Family and friends?
Thanks....

These are personal use only. I will keep 2 of them (we have large pools parties often and need the grilling space). I will end up giving one of the 3 grills to my son. I agree....I would never spend that kind of money on the new parts... I'm more looking for some creative ideas to restore for much less.

Many here have noted they replaced the bottoms with fabricated wood. Or used the "Trex" style stuff for decks.

I like that idea........maybe just cut off the rusted bottom lip of the left side panel and simply screw through the side of the panel into the Trex floor.

James, you could fab in a brace piece across that left side. But, just keep in mind that that rust is going to continue and likely begin creeping up the side panel, back and likely the right side as well. If you just want a functioning grill, then that isn't such a big deal, but it won't be pretty. Then, a wood/composite floor would work out well.
Here is a HOW TO video on replacing that frame part on your LX grill and could also be used on the support on the E310.

One other word of caution is that those wheels on the left side might be the next failure point on that E310. The legs are probably already pretty rusty at the bottom.

James, you could fab in a brace piece across that left side. But, just keep in mind that that rust is going to continue and likely begin creeping up the side panel, back and likely the right side as well. If you just want a functioning grill, then that isn't such a big deal, but it won't be pretty. Then, a wood/composite floor would work out well.
Here is a HOW TO video on replacing that frame part on your LX grill and could also be used on the support on the E310.

One other word of caution is that those wheels on the left side might be the next failure point on that E310. The legs are probably already pretty rusty at the bottom.

That's an excellent video...thanks for sharing. I'll try to get that red top crossbar replaced per your video. The rest of it is in decent shape.

The black top really doesn't need anything at this point. Those older frames seem to be built much better.

I suppose I can just leave the E310 alone for the most part and I'll probably get a few years out of it the way it is. It cooks very nicely. Maybe just some sanding of the rust and Rustoleum paint to help retard the rust. It actually looks decent from the outside.

Oh.....one more thing on the red top.

The cross tube has a clip to hold the middle burner in place. It appears that clip was welded to the crossover tube. Well, as I was moving some stuff around to clean it out, the clip "unwelded" from the crosstube. Any creative ways to keep that middle burner tube in place? The burners are in decent shape and I'd hate to have to buy a new set of burners just for that.

You can buy just the crossover tube, but they are usually almost as expensive as an entire new set. I suppose you could wire the middle burner to the crossover tube.

Welcome James,

You can buy new cross bars for the Genesis 1000. I found them for $7, but with shipping its about $14 but you can get two for $20 including shipping.

And the black grill above is a Silver B ( vs an A) I've had one for over 20 years.

Here is a thread on a resto-mod for a rusted out 310 frame. He converted it to an open cart. You might get some ideas from it.

Good luck !

Here is a thread on a resto-mod for a rusted out 310 frame. He converted it to an open cart. You might get some ideas from it.

Good luck !

Yeah!!! that looks a lot like mine does on the inside. Appreciate the link!

Welcome James! It is sort of ironic that your newest grill is in the worst shape of the bunch, but that's one of the reasons why a lot of us prefer the older models. They hold up a lot better and are easier to keep nice.

Yeah!!! that looks a lot like mine does on the inside. Appreciate the link!
The only challenge is you have to do it in flip flops!

Seriously though I think that grill came out awesome, and you won't run into that same issue again that way. I'd do that or something like that if I had to.

These three grills are substantially identical in the sense that they are all roughly the same age/size/number of burners/fuel/brand, etc. I would give your son whichever one he wants and make sure it is working for him. Next I would pick the better of the remaining two and fix that one up nice as a "primary" grill. I would consider the worst one an "extra" grill to use for pool parties. It really wouldn't bother me much if that extra grill had some issues, so long as it worked.

Part of the reason I say that is because if you can find three working Weber grills in the trash by you, you can perhaps more that might not have the issues these do.

It also also goes without saying, keep the pool water and the chemicals away from the grills and other metal stuff.

Back