A cook box fit for church

Steven Martin

TVWBB Member
So I took a few cook boxes to get sand blasted today. There was one with grease caked on it so much that I didn’t notice what was underneath, or rather what wasn’t there.

Seems as though I need to check grills out a little better than I have been before acquiring.

25463C53-40DD-49FE-ADBF-27E4D093C8BB.jpeg1E53D3E8-6191-411B-893F-374AFB946DFC.jpeg2B221EF6-99F5-4CB1-B56C-25B9681013E7.jpeg

In the first two pictures, the holes looked repairable with High Heat JB Weld. But that last photo of the enlarged hole for the burner is a no go.
Too bad you wasted your money on that one. I had one blasted where the front was bowed out too much and overlooked that before I took it in.

Yep, the bowed front or even sides are easy to see, but the holes along the ridge for the flavorizer bars gets covered in gunk and is a lot harder to see without doing a decent cleanup. I even stripped an entire cook box outside and half the inside with an angle grinder before I found a couple holes like above. I finished it off and used JB Weld. It was a rehab/flip and I didn't mention it to the next owner and I kind of felt bad about it, but did the same repair on my personal Genesis 1000 4 years ago and it is still good today.

Yeah I suppose getting a bad apple here and there comes with the territory when you get into this hobby. I was just really surprised that something ate through the cast aluminum like that.

Yeah I suppose getting a bad apple here and there comes with the territory when you get into this hobby. I was just really surprised that something ate through the cast aluminum like that.
Definitely been there, had a grill where the lower firebox melted down into the slide out tray and hardened that way, the slide out was not able to be removed without breaking the firebox. The whole idea behind keeping it clean is so important. Outside of destroying the grill, the person potentially was in danger due to what I assume was a crazy grease fire. I saw such value in how cheap it was I did not look at it at all, just loaded it up. Last time I ever did that.

I think it is a combination of excessive heat and acids in the grease that collects in certain parts of the grill. The flavorizer bars tend to funnel a lot of heat to each end of the bar right to where you see the small holes. The bigger meltdown by the burner tube opening was probably due to a burner that was split and fire was probably pouring out right at that spot for quite a while. I don't know that it was any real kind of "melting" going on, but that extreme heat over and over again in one area will eat away at it as well.

THen you have the grease fires which can take the entire grill temp well beyond safe. I picked up a grill from a guy who said his Genesis B did that. He said flames were several feet above the grill and it even scortched his garage as he had it just outside the garage with the door up. As I was leaving and noticed his license plate on his grill, it had a Firefighters emblem on it. I turned around and asked if he was a fireman and he smiled and said "yah". I laughed and said "thanks for your service".

Two of the knobs were totally melted to blobs and the manifold was toast. The control panel was toast, but the rest of the grill was OK aside from the nasty greasy cabinet. There wasn't even a lower small grease pan in the grill. It was all over the bottom of the cabinet. It was like he never did anything but low and slow fatty meat on it....And it smelled nasty rotten. At least the cook box was nice and burned off. I can just imagine what that looked like prior to the infermo.

In the first two pictures, the holes looked repairable with High Heat JB Weld. But that last photo of the enlarged hole for the burner is a no go.
Too bad you wasted your money on that one. I had one blasted where the front was bowed out too much and overlooked that before I took it in.
I picked up this firebox with a redhead hood all the way over on the west coast of Florida. Faith went along with me and we made it into a day vacation trip. When we stopped to get the grill - which was free and kindly held for me by the owner until after April 15 - Faith said to me, "We came all this way for THAT!" I guess she turned out to be right :rolleyes:.

Before this one I never new cast aluminum could be so eaten up.

tqXA0b0.jpg

I picked up this firebox with a redhead hood all the way over on the west coast of Florida. Faith went along with me and we made it into a day vacation trip. When we stopped to get the grill - which was free and kindly held for me by the owner until after April 15 - Faith said to me, "We came all this way for THAT!" I guess she turned out to be right :rolleyes:.

Before this one I never new cast aluminum could be so eaten up.

tqXA0b0.jpg
Glad to know that happens to others. The part about coming all of this way for that of course 😆

Back