A Completely Different Take on the New Genesis Grills

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This article popped up on my phone. It goes to show you how different people react to the same product. For example, the reviewer here touts that Weber went back to four casters and got rid of the large wheels on the right because it gives the grill a "more high-end look.' I personally applauded Weber for bringing back the classic large wheel setup when the Genesis II came out. Oh well. Anyway, you can see that this reviewer thinks very highly of the new Genesis:

You may find this site loads up very slowly. I think it is specifically aimed for phones.

I did have to hit the reload button to get the site to load.

I suppose that is exhibit "A" for why who should read different reviews before making a major purchase.

Big wheels are an upgrade on other stuff and are better on medium-weight grills as well. On a really big grill you are not going to move it far anyway and on a small grill it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Interesting read, thanks.

"Between [the two of] them they have over 40 years of grilling experience." makes it sound like Weber knew what market they were going for and hit it.

I'm sure bigger wheels cost more and that measure is a cost reducing strategy for Weber. I also prefer bigger wheels on one side.

As others have noted on different posts, the quality of the metal and overall makeup of the new Weber grills -- from a manufacture/engineering point of view -- have gone down in quality. In my experience, grills built after 2010 aren't built like they used to. The thought is that every 5 years people will dump their grills and just purchase a new one. .......But that can be said of everything.

People used to keep cars for 20, 30 years if not more. Nowadays, most people replace their cars in 3-5 years. My car is 10 years old and and I love it.

Last edited:
My Spirit 700 is 29 years old, but my car is only 26. Both bought new, but the 850 turbo wagon has gone a lot more miles.

850 turbo wagon is one of the best cars ever built in my opinion, amazing combination of fun, relaiability and practicality, and they have a classic good look as well.
I guess you can tell that I'm a Volvo fan (-:

I do think that the older Volvos share a lot with the older Webers, solid design, good materials, easy to work on and fun to use.

I'm not sure I've ever made a grill choice by the wheels or the casters, that said I like 4 casters on my E330, in my current location more than the 2 casters plus big wheels on my 1000.

Took a look at the "new Genesis" (and I use that term loosely). Even more unimpressed than I was with the last 2 "new" Genesis units. Especially for the nut they're asking

Took a look at the "new Genesis" (and I use that term loosely). Even more unimpressed than I was with the last 2 "new" Genesis units. Especially for the nut they're asking
I am not that impressed either. And prices are insane on these new Genesis. $1K for a 3-burner entry model.

And quite honestly I did NOT see any better quality there than the Chinese KitchenAid grill next to it at less than half the price. I could see it if they were still building quality that justified the $$$$. But they ruined the design, cheapened the product A LOT, and are still demanding premium pricing? Not this kid. Mom didn't raise no fool

No, definitely not built to the classic Weber standard. I do think they will cook quite well for a while, but they don't have what it takes to pass them on to another generation. Unfortunately, that's what a lot of people seem to want. They don't care or have any intentions of using a gas grill for 10 or 15 years. By then they will want the latest gizmos.

I agree that the metal is thin, but I still think they are at least somewhat of a cut above the typical grills in the big box stores.

They are definitely a lot shinier than mine, but around here it wouldn't be long before they were pretty well used, so I'm with the old school. Plus I like east west for rotisserie, and this grill is working perfectly. Nothing is wrong, and there is not a lot that could go wrong that I don't already pretty much know how to fix. I guess I'm just getting old.

No, definitely not built to the classic Weber standard. I do think they will cook quite well for a while, but they don't have what it takes to pass them on to another generation.
That is not just true for Weber but appliances in general. Everything is becoming disposable.

Back