A common problem?

Mike Hartwell

TVWBB Pro
It's windy here in Nebraska today.
Today also happens to the day I picked to cook the first pork butt. I'ts right at 6 lbs after some trimming so I figure about a 9 -10 hr cook.
I used the K.I.S.S. method shown in Wyviott's excellent book. during the first hour the camed down from 380 to 280, but no further. I built a 4 sided wind break out of some 2' by 4' foot ceiling panels, and closed all bottom vents, There was movement down to 260, but no lower.
I thot "what the heck, that should be ok"
then I got to thinking again (usually a mistake)that the smoker shouldn't run that hot with the vents all closed, so I took the @#*& door off and shimmed it with foil and replaced it. The temp spiked of course, but now I can keep it at around 230 with vents partially open.
If anyone from WEBER monitors these posts, I have a question.
Why has nothing been done to improve the doors on these units?
It would seem to be common problem, judging by all the posts on this topic.

Mike, My understanding of the WSM is that it is not meant to be air-tight. That being said, many WSM parts are received new that need adjustment. I think that it is a function of the thickness and ridigity of the metal being used. There are after market doors and if Weber fixed all theirs the aftermarked business would dry up.

Mark

Hey, thanks Mark.
I'm not looking for airtight, I just want control. Control only seems possible when I use other methods to seal the door.
This problem doesn't seem to affect me alone...judging from the number of posts on this subject.
As to the effect on the aftermarket, I'm sure those manufactories would be tickled to sell directly to weber.

Mike, Yup, I bet they would. Problem for them is I doubt Weber would be willing. My door new, needed adjustment, so I adjusted it. If your door is so far out of adjustment that you can't get it back with minimal bending, I would suggest calling Weber customer service and asking for a new door. They are currently in the process of sending me one because my latch came apart in the heat of competition and I lost some of the washers. They sent me a new complete set of screws and nuts etc when 1 of my screws snapped during assembly. I know of others who have received new middle sections cause theirs were out of round. Hope you get yours in working order.

Mark

Ya know, I never have measured for out-of- round. The seat at the bottom seems round, at least it doesn't bind when I twist it. I should probably measure the top.
I have done some bending on the door and thought I had solved the problem, but I guess not.
I would bet you a donut that Weber already gets the doors from some supplier.
I would really like to know Weber's opinion of this issue.

Well, regardless of my incessant whining and control issues, the cook went into delicious pulled pork samiches.
It was a tad dry (probably due to high temp issues), but nothing a bit of Scotts Original Sauce couldn't cure.
As you of the wise and venerated, highly experienced cooks frequently say, "It's BBQ, not rocket science".
Well at least ya'll keep sayin that in my head when I get this way.
God Bless The Cooks.
Amen.

Back