A Chocolate Genny

Kelly C

TVWBB Pro
Picked up this Genesis 1000 recently and decided to start working on it this weekend. It was in three parts when loading it in my truck. Legs decided to fall off. Was happy the small wire condiment rack was there on the right side. Had not been used for 2-3 years. Plan on putting in new burners flavorizer bars and food grates. Valves will need a good lube. Also need to cut and stain some 1”x2” cedar boards.
F0A26591-4C4C-4358-9F79-0A7B34BEFDDE.jpegE925B4B8-8406-497E-B1A1-50F7C851B17C.jpeg

I've got one of those! 1986, from the serial number and casting date on the cookbox.. That is a thing of beauty! Congratulations!

Do a search on @MarkSiebel for his gorgeous chocolate resto!

This is what mine looked like when I picked it up (free!). The frame was held together with angle brackets.

36d22ee86bbe400baa2c152c3651c86c.jpg

Attachments

• 20201021_142056.jpg
    20201021_142056.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Tank Support.png
    Tank Support.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thanks Ed. Mine is from 1990. I noticed the manifold is secured with thumb screws. I sprayed them with some lubricant and will do that several more times before trying to remove them. Any recommendations on the best lubricant…PB Blaster or something else?
462BB335-4635-4734-9039-802FA11D5AF8.jpeg

Kelly, why do you say your grill is made in 1990?

And I don't think that is a Genesis 1000. I think maybe that comes from the Genesis 1-5 generation.

Last edited:
I think I was going by the date in the certification box but maybe that is not the manufacture date. Should I go by the serial number or the number in bottom left hand corner?

Kelly, that certification number is the date for the certification which could last for many years. That just means the grill is at least 1990. From what I can tell, it is 1990 to 1992. There is nothing in the serial number back than that can pin point a date, but in 1993 they changed the serial number scheme and then in 1994 they changed them again so that they had a date code. Prior to that, I know of no way to tell for sure the exact year of manufacture.

Kelly, that certification number is the date for the certification which could last for many years. That just means the grill is at least 1990. From what I can tell, it is 1990 to 1992. There is nothing in the serial number back than that can pin point a date, but in 1993 they changed the serial number scheme and then in 1994 they changed them again so that they had a date code. Prior to that, I know of no way to tell for sure the exact year of manufacture.
Ok thanks! The base had a single cross bar when I got it and two of the legs had bad rust. Maybe that was factory on Genesis 1-5? I put a set of legs on it from a Silver parts grill I had.

Yah, that right side condiment basket might have some significance in further determining the year and model of your grill. Also, the fact that it was a single middle cross brace on bottom originally. I am just not that well versed on the older Genesis grills, especially prior to the Genesis 1000-5000 which I am pretty sure yours is.

I am almost certain that this is a "later" Genesis 1. By 1990 they had switched to narrow slats and the tank scale pointer with the dogleg and decal directly on the frame tube. Probably changed to the newer wheel style from the first one that had the whitewall right at the edge. When they switched to the 1000-5000 models, they dropped the little wire condiment shelf but added a fold-down table even on the 1000.

Kelly, The 1990 catalog shows your Genesis I. The picture shows the original style wheel. I don't know if they changed mid-stream or if someone replaced the original wheels.

Thanks Jon. That is very helpful. I have the original wheels and wooden handle. I switched out the legs and wheels from a Spirit parts grill due to bad rust but may go back and put the original wheels back on. Wondering if this is a better find than first thought since it is older than the Genesis 1000-5000’s. Thoughts?

Some people like the older ones more, simply due to being "older". But, I prefer the updates on the Genesis 1000-5000 grills. If that grill is a keeper, I wouldn't bother trying to keep it factory stock. I would mod it however fits your desire. Most parts from the older 1-5 grills are interchangeable with the newer 1000-5000 grills. Caster wheels and the swing table slide bars are two of my favorite updates.

I have a Gen 2 chocolate waiting for a restoration, It's in remarkable condition seeing it's a very low serial # I'm guessing 1985. I'll start on it as soon as the garage gets below 100 degrees in the daytime and the price of cedar comes back down.
To Bruce's point about keeping it stock That was my original plan but I've decided I want to use it not make it a museum lawn ornament.
So I will make it as I think it will be the most efficient with some bling to go along with it.
Can't wait to flop a nice ribeye on a 36 year old Weber gasser.

Rich,
For all those stars to align, it may take a small miracle! I am glad that that unrestored VERY early Genesis is in safe keeping and that you live in AZ where rust isn’t allowed. :cool: When all the stars do align, let me know if there is anything I can try to help you with.

Rich,
For all those stars to align, it may take a small miracle! I am glad that that unrestored VERY early Genesis is in safe keeping and that you live in AZ where rust isn’t allowed. :cool: When all the stars do align, let me know if there is anything I can try to help you with.
Thanks Jon, the gen 2 is covered up in the back yard waiting my arrival. It's been there for about two years waiting so I need to get it done before the snow fly's. The older I get the more excuses I have not to get the project done.
My son said he would be the caretaker of it when I'm gone and then give it to our grandson when the time comes. I'm gathering spare parts for it so it will have many more years of service as you know the things like FBs, grates, burners, ignitors and such are getting harder to find for the early gassers. Some day I hope my grandson flops a ribeye on it for it's 50th birthday. :)

Usually on the bottom but a lot of times it is very hard to read due to corrosion or just poor stamping.

Back