A butt in 5 hours!!!??!!!!

Henry Joe Peterson

TVWBB Super Fan
I just bought the book Peace, Love and Barbcue by Mike Mills and Amy Mills Tunnicliffe.

I bought the book for the lore, the travelogue, and the personal BBQ history, which I am enjoying flipping around and reading. I loved Legends of Texas BBQ, and Smokestack Lightning, both of which are predominantly BBQ history and lore, with few or no recipes.

This book also has recipes though. And I must say, I was SHOCKED to read their recipe for pulled pork, which says the butt will be done in 4 to 5 hours. That's right. 4 to 5 hours. (I'm surprised y'all didn't hear me burst out laughing when I read that.) They do admit that the meat is best sliced at 160-170, and pulls better at 180-190, which they said takes "longer."

I dunno, it just seemed deceptive to me. Imagine how disappointed some BBQ novice will be when he finds his 5 hour pork butt is as tough as nails.

It reminded me of the time on the Food Network when Bobby Flay said a whole brisket would be done in 4 hours. Right after he built his WSM wrong. Just disseminating bad information.

Thing is, Mills seems really well versed in the ways of BBQ. He's a partner in several restaurants and has competed extensively. I have to believe that he knows in his heart of hearts that 5 hours just ain't enough time for a butt. Which makes me wonder why he published the recipe as such.

And it makes me question the veracity of all the other recipes in the book.

Is is just me? Or is this 5 hour time frame a little optomistic, and deceptive, to say the least?

Pulled pork in 5 hours? Sure, you just need 24" biceps and hands like Vice-Grips.
icon_eek.gif

And you also have to reconsider the notion of "tender."
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin S.:
Pulled pork in 5 hours? Sure, you just need 24" biceps and hands like Vice-Grips.
icon_eek.gif

And you also have to reconsider the notion of "tender."
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pulled pork? No. Sliced at 165. It will be cooked enough to be safe to eat. But you better slice it paper thin if you want to be able to eat it.

Back