A bark with bite

Steven Paul

TVWBB Fan
Did a 7 pound pork picnic yesterday in an 11 hr. cook.
For the first time in a long time I did not wrap it in foil.

Does anyone notice a difference in the bark when they cook without foil?

What about in the flavor and texture?
Thanks

I foiled 1 time and my friends and family did not like it nearly as much as non foil. The bark is way more jerky like and flavorful in our opinion. The texture of the meat inside of non foil was also better to us. Others will say the exact opposite. It all depends on the crowd you are cooking for and what they like. Foil cooked faster and was more tender and juicy but like I said that's not how we like it. We also do not like fall off the bone ribs. Just my take on foil.

I like pork shoulder (or picnic roast) with no foil. Those chunks of crust provide a nice contrast to the pork, which let's face it often needs all the help it can get. Pork is very fatty and won't dry out so I see no reason to wrap. That said, wrapped can be fine too. I usually just do it to speed up a cook when it comes to pulled pork.

I didn't think I was imagining it!
I've used foil for a long time and I'd forgotten how crispy, thick and spicy the bark is when you don't foil. The pork shredded differently and was very tasty. I'm going to try to save my long cooks for when I have time and don't need to use foil from now on.

Back